Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-11-2005 , 08:37 PM

Combining 3d with 2d - help!!!

I have been searching the web forever and I can't seem to find a good tutorial on how to mix a 3D animation - made in Maya - with a 2D film scene - for instance putting a CG character in a scene. Can anyone help? I would prefer the scene isn't static - i.e. locked camera - I'm sure it would be easier that way, but isn't really what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be much help with Maya Live - which is what I assume you would use? I'm totally lost. BTW - I am using Maya Unlimited 4.5 and After Effects 6.5 Pro.

# 2 17-11-2005 , 12:20 PM
you will indeed need to "track" the footage you have. This creates 3d camera that maya can use. You can then position/animate your character etc. I've never used maya live but that should be your first port of call. Also starting with a lock off camera is porbably the best idea just till you get the hang of it a bit more.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 17-11-2005 , 03:55 PM
Thanks for the response - but does anyone know of a good book or preferably a DVD tutorial or online tutorial that I can use to learn this process?

# 4 17-11-2005 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
There is information on this forum, that's how I've learnt. Do a search for "Maya Live".

This is the Thread That got me going.

Cheers
Paul

# 5 17-11-2005 , 08:51 PM
Wow - thanks Paul - I just read through that entire thread and it seemed like really useful info. Can't wait to get home and give Live a try. Anyway you can get your footage back up online?