Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-05-2006 , 07:08 PM

Rolex Watch

I hope Mike won't mind, but there's no simplystudiotools forum, so I was hoping I could continue this thread here. Anyway, here's my curent work in progress. It's my first work with studio tools, and I've got to say I just LOVE that software!!! For a modeler who works mostly with NURB's, studio tools is simply amazing. It's pretty complicated to start to learn, but there's a lot in common with Maya, so the learning curve is not too bad. I'm really starting to try to make the shift towards my own design/product visualization work, so I'm gonna make this one accurate for a portfolio.

This is about 4 hours work so far, and it's nowhere near finished. I spent a lot of time in photoshop getting the textures right for the face and dial, so the actual modeling is about an hour. Studio tools rock!!

Here's two test renders with slightly different material/lighting settings:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-05-2006 , 07:12 PM
Another test render:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 01-05-2006 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber
very nice work ...but one crit for those that cant read the time ..can you do a digital hahhaha kidding ..

great work as usual . looks so realistic .

# 4 01-05-2006 , 10:33 PM
yeah- and deffinately #2 is more realistic.

dilberts you are a great hard surface modeler user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 02-05-2006 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
nice dilberts one thing i notice with a lot of watches is how u can never tell theres glass there. try get that sorted user added image

Edit......
One second glance i notice a reflection from the glass but still needs some tweaking user added image

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 6 06-05-2006 , 04:04 PM
nice watch

# 7 06-05-2006 , 04:09 PM
can I buy it? user added image

# 8 07-05-2006 , 07:18 PM
Subscriber
looking good as usual user added image

am a really big fan of your car work, they all looke excellent and im looking forward for this watch to come together. already looking excellent

# 9 07-05-2006 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
Nice :attn:

# 10 12-05-2006 , 07:37 PM
Added the main body and some of the links. Lots more to do with the details, but the main shape is there.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 12-05-2006 , 07:47 PM
Nice work my friend...its looking great.

# 12 12-05-2006 , 08:03 PM
Thanks esion. One important thing I've gotten from this project so far is the relative difference between using NURB's and polys. Fact is, to do this model with polys would be an absolute nightmare, and it would never be as accurate as with NURB's. I think I'm pretty much a NURB's only modeler now. Once you get used to all the continuity tools available with NURBs, there's just no substitute for hard surface modeling. It seems like most modelers are reluctant to use NURBs because they are a little harder to use. You kinda have to think/plan ahead when you use them, as they're not as easy to tweak directly.

# 13 12-05-2006 , 08:05 PM
Damm good work man, I really need to strat using NURBS, I start a project using them, get stumped than got to polys, so I'm one of the people that you mean!

# 14 12-05-2006 , 08:35 PM
damn, dude you are a friggin beast!

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 15 13-05-2006 , 02:13 AM
OK, I added some details. The time changing knob took about 3 hours. It was a real tricky little piece. I also added the second time marks which really help to put the face of the watch in context. All I have to do now is the clasp, and some tiny details, and then I'll work on the rendering. Comments are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails