Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-01-2003 , 01:40 AM
Subscriber

VIP Section Question.

Hi, I'm looking to sign up to the VIP section to try to further my Maya knowledge but I'm a bit confused as to what the points mean. I am guessing that you use your points to download tutorials?

If so, how long would the initial 14 points last? In other words what would I get roughly for those 14 points? 1 movie? 2? Are certain things free in the VIP area like tutorials which aren't movies? I just don't want to sign up and realise that 14 points won't go a long way, I want to know I'm going to be able to download a good amount of tutorials etc.

Thanks

# 2 26-01-2003 , 01:52 AM
The Maya Mountain
Most vids are 1 point, so you can get, at maximum, 14 videos!

There are a few 2 pointers. Very seldom, there are 3 pointers.

Pretty good bang for the buck!

# 3 26-01-2003 , 01:54 AM
Kevin
Hi silva

Welcome

the points last forever until spent... each tutorial has its own points value...

These values are from 1 point to 3 points. The larger the movie tutorial the higher the points. So and tutorial over 45 mins will be 2 or 3 points (especially if a model is included)

If you go to the vip section you will see the different categorys.

There you will find you tutorial you are interested in, how many points it will cost, how long it is etc....

We also have 4 hrs 20 mins of free tutorial here: https://www.simplymaya.com/vip.shtml?...ee%20Tutorials

....that cost nothing.

So 14 points is £14 uk pounds.... if you go for the larger movies you could get around 6 or 7 hrs of movie tutorial for this..

Value for money I would say!

# 4 26-01-2003 , 01:58 AM
Kevin
The only ones that will all be 3 is the cyber dog... and it is 5 parts in all

# 5 26-01-2003 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the quick replies, I think I might sign up it does sound pretty good value user added image

# 6 26-01-2003 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
One more question regarding tutorial movies in general. Is there anyway I can download these using a resume program such as getright? I'm on dialup so some of the larger free tutorials I've tried to download have been interrupted by my being disconnected from the net. I cannot copy/paste the url into getright as it's not an actual direct link to the file, any ideas? Or will I just have to take my chances?

Maybe an ftp/http address to a folder where I can just click the movie files?

# 7 26-01-2003 , 06:24 AM
SM Tea Boy
silva the file's don't exist inside a web accessible root there read of the server and spat back out at your browser, which makes resume impossible, well nothings impossible but it would take some seriously impressive kung fo, however if you get cut of during download you wont get charged points if you download again, once you have downloaded a VIP tutorial you can download it again as many times as you like, we know its a pain for dial up users but at least if you get cut of it doesn't cost you any extra points.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 8 26-01-2003 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
yeah, I've noticed that such programs don't work here. I use 'GoZilla' which can resume broken downloads, and can also download using multiple connectoins to the one file. I can only ever manage to get it to connect once to the tuts here. Also, I must delete the shortcuts from GoZilla afterwards because otherwise the next time i try to download another tutorial it instead goes and gets the last one i downloaded!

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 9 26-01-2003 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
oh, I have a question. Once a VIP has downloaded VIP tutorials, are they permitted by license to burn them onto CD for backup purposes? I skimmed over the Terms & Conditions page but I didn't really find anything about this, just how we must not copy and show the movies to others etc.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 10 26-01-2003 , 07:20 AM
SM Tea Boy
The Fair use laws state you can create a backup copy of any software you purchase so we couldn't stop you even if we wanted to which we don't, of course you can put them on CD for backup purposes god know how many HD's I've had go bang on me in the last couple of years user added image

Were not some massive soleless company, as long as you're sensible about it we're not going to come looking for you if you're friend happens to be in the room when you're watching you're video, however we would probably be a bit annoyed if say you posted them on a web site somewhere, or were making copies for distribution.

Well actually we would be more than a bit annoyed we'd have to set the company dog on ya user added image go moosey.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 11 26-01-2003 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
So you own maya but dont have adsl or cable? Is it not in the area?

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 12 26-01-2003 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

Can you start spliting the tutorials into 20mb bits because any bigger I can't download them as I have only a 56k modem. So far I have lost a lot of points trying to download tutorials that are just to big and have have to terminate the connection. For example I would like to get the rest of the monster head tutorials but they are to big and I would especially like to get hold of the cyber dog tutorial but thats a no no. How about it? perhaps a special area for 56K users

Ian

# 13 26-01-2003 , 02:34 PM
Kevin
Ian , Is there any way you can get to somewhere with broadband? Or maybe an internet cafe? (just make sure you log out after wards though)

If not I will try to come up with some answers for you Ian.

# 14 26-01-2003 , 03:02 PM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by )v(
So you own maya but dont have adsl or cable? Is it not in the area?

He's in Australia which is notorious for capping its broadband users at 2gig a month total transfer limit i don't blame him for staying with 56k

David.

# 15 26-01-2003 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber
No Kevin, unfortunately I can't get to anywhere that does broadband. If the problem is splitting the video into chunks a simple solution is to to use a product called stuffit deluxe (windows/mac) which can split the file to any sizes you want and then combine them together automatically. The decompressor is also free and both windows and mac compatable.

It that info is no help please can you provide a solution to overcome this problem.

Thanks

Ian