Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-02-2011 , 02:57 PM
Subscriber

All but one object has vanished??

I hope this is a really dumb question and someone can answer quickly.

I was trying to change UV's of an object and I must of hit a shortcut or something because everything else has vanished.

i can see everything in the outliner, select and all the visibilities are set to on. In the viewports show tab, All the different object types are set to on, so i should be seeing everything, and all the layers are activated too.

have i entered some isolation mode or something?

Thanks

... turning off all layers doesnt remove the one object i can see.

Nothing to do with clipping planes as visible object is amongst others

Last edited by jrm522; 25-02-2011 at 03:32 PM.
# 2 25-02-2011 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
woop figured it out. In the renderer tab, i was on 'default quality rendering', and by choosing viewport 2.0 my objects returned. Slightly concerned for my scene as I am sure I was always on this setting so what has changed?. nm i shall crack the manual out now i know the problem

# 3 25-02-2011 , 07:02 PM
You shouldn't need to be in viewport 2.0 to see objects.
I can't duplicate your issue, either, though...
This is an enigma to me. Very strange indeed.
Wish I could help more-

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 25-02-2011 , 07:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
I wonder if you hit "isolate selected" which might be viewport specific (i.e. if you change to a different viewport mode e.g. 2.0, it turns off). Try in the panel menus > view > isolate selected. If you go back to original viewport mode, is it still isolated?

# 5 25-02-2011 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
I am using Maya 2011, I don't have anything isolated and the visibility issue is across all viewports. I can isolate the one object i can see, and it remains isolated in each viewport mode but it doesn't change the visibility of the other objects.

Is there some way in Maya to only see those objects with uv maps applied? because i was playing with the UV texture editor when i noticed everything else had disappeared? the object i can see, is the only one with an image applied as a texture.

thanks for the input. Il keep digging

# 6 25-02-2011 , 08:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
It might be a bug with the scene. You could try creating a new scene, then importing the buggy one, see if the objects are now visible or not.

# 7 25-02-2011 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
I think i found my issue, No idea how, or why, but here goes..

I selected an invisible object went along to the renderLayer node ticked the global box for 'Render Layer Options' and suddenly all my objects reappeared. I dont understand how i unticked this or even why this option would effect the viewport. All my layers including render layers were visible.

Maya seems glitchy and slow atm, may have to try rescue objects and start again anyway.

Thanks everyone for your help