Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-05-2004 , 04:47 PM

Rhino...

Hey guy's...I've been trying to teach myself Maya...using tutorials from here and afew other sites....while I can follow the tutorials well...and learn a lot...I have troubles actually creating ideas I have in my head.

In my architecture class...we have a program called Rhino...which I've been playing around with...used no tutorials...just taught myself...working about 10mins a day for the last 3 weeks I made this mech.

I was just wondering...how would I make this in Maya...I've tried...and can't seem to make the transition...or whatever you want to call it.

I absolutely love Maya....absolutely hate Rhino...but I can teach myself a lot easier in Rhino...

I know Maya is more involved...therefore will take more time...but...I graduate in 6 days and want to transfer this mech into rhino so I can finish it....

Thanks! user added image

Attached Images
# 2 28-05-2004 , 04:48 PM
as you can see it's not complete....need to work on body and area between the legs...torso twist and all that...

Ill post afew more pics...of the renders when I get home...

any help/tips would be awesome user added image

# 3 28-05-2004 , 05:21 PM
Here's a render so far....

...I just cant seem to produce the same objects inorder to recreate the mech in Maya....

I wish I could just convert the rhino file into a maya file... user added image

Attached Images
# 4 28-05-2004 , 05:34 PM
Kevin
looks good to me mate.. 1 thing that you need to do is make that middle gun sit in better as atm its just pushed in and dont look quite right

Maybe cut the hole into the body slightly bigger then the gun so it looks in it?

play with shapes for the torso twist, stick some circles in etc and see which may work.. might give you a few ideas mate

# 5 28-05-2004 , 05:36 PM
Yes I was going to do so...I wasnt quite sure how I was going to do the body(started that first)...so I moved onto the arms/legs...Ill be cleaning the body up later...

just wish Maya was this easy to learn lol user added image

(Rhino sucks user added image)

# 6 30-05-2004 , 01:09 AM
Hello Painterdan. The best way to export a model made in Rhino to Maya is to convert all of the NURBS surfaces to Polygons, then to export the parts separately as Wavefront (.obj) files. It is best to export certain parts separately, since if you export the whole thing, then when you import it into Maya it for some reason converted mine to a single object, so it is best to just export them separately. It also gives you the option to export the surfaces as either NURBS or Polygons, so that way you can work with whichever one you want in Maya. Hope this helps! user added image By the way, NICE model so far! user added image It is a very nice model for Rhino...I am still learning the program myself and modeling with it.

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 7 30-05-2004 , 05:37 AM
Thanks for the compliments & help CGP! user added image

Mmm...I've never had any training or anything in Rhino...just play around with it when I am done with all my Acad assignments...so I am not exactly sure what you are talking about...theoretically I do...but actually doing it....mmmm not so sure...

Ill check it out on tuesday and hopefully I can figure it out...thanks again man!