Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-02-2007 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber

Models turning into cubes when applying textures?!?!

I'm modelling a simple sofa as a subdiv and have created a lambert for it but when I apply it, my sofa turns cuboid! I've tried exporting it as a dxf then re importing it but that just made maya crash every time. Have also tried converting it to nurbs and polys but it's still happening. I've added the before and after pics here :-) Heeelllppp meeee!

Thanks in advance
Simon

Attached Thumbnails

www.simontayloranimation.com
# 2 13-02-2007 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
Sorry couldn't work out how to post 2 images in the same post. Here's what happens after applying the texture...

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 13-02-2007 , 04:41 PM
change the format into normal instead of poly-proxy mode, and then select your sofa and apply your texture.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 4 13-02-2007 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
How do I go into normal mode? I'm currently in standard mode and I still get that problem

Simon

# 5 13-02-2007 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
I'll get back to you after I've gone home and had a play, I forget off the top of my head, but if you have a closer look, you'll see that what you've actually done is apply the lambert-shader to the blue cage that surrounds the sofa!!

Notice in the second image, that the sofa is protruding through the cage at the same places the cage is not visible in the first image. To put it another way, you've still got the rounded sofa underneath, you just can't see through the blue wireframe cage anymore..

It's not the answer, I realise that - just thought it was worth pointing out.

-S.

# 6 13-02-2007 , 06:33 PM

second try

i had this problem with my female head
when converting to subdiv(or at least it looked the same),I asked a lot of questions but got no answers. I would be keen to see the results of this thread as i have just had to find another way still no solution but ... what version of Maya are you running? ...

Attached Thumbnails

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 7 14-02-2007 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber

Now I remember...

I seem to recall seeing this problem discussed before, though I'll be stuffed if I can remember who by or what the thread was called.

But, aaanyway -

So, you create a subdiv object then right-click and select "polygon" from the marking menu. This gives you the poly cage that can make it much easier to work with, right?

You work with this poly cage for a while then if you right click, and select "standard" (which is where the "polygon" option was) the cage dissapears. cool, normal behaviour.

The problem occurs when you delete the history of the object while you're still in poly-mode. If you do this, then when you right-click and select "standard", nothing happens!! The cage doesn't dissapear anymore and you're left with your shaped subd object with the cage surrounding it. You think, "hmmm, that's a bit weird, oh well" and continue. When you go to apply a material to the object, it gets applied to the cage as well, and obscures the object you'd been working on. At about this time, you're really perplexed. user added image

Well, fear not - there is a way to fix this :attn:
You need to open up the hypergraph. With your object selected, hit the icon with the yellow rectangle on the left and two grey rectangles to the right of it, both joined to the yellow one with diagonal lines. "Show Input & Output Connections" This presents you with a whole heap of nodes, some of them connected, some of them not. All you have to do is click on them until you find the one that makes the cage light up as being selected, and delete it. And that's it, problem solved!!

To try this out, do the following:

1) Create a subd cube
2) Right-click and select "polygon" - a cage appears
3) Right-click and select "standard" - the cage disappears.
4) Now, right-click and select "polygon" again.
5) Delete the history on the object
6) Right-click and select "standard" - ?? the cage is still there!!
7) Open the hypergraph and hit the Input&OutputConnections icon
8) The top left node should be yellow - subdivCube1(transform), below that is a node called subdivCube1ShapeHistPoly(mesh).
9) Select this node, you'll notice only the cage is selected, now delete it and voila!! All gone, problem solved.

It's just a matter of doing it with your own model. I dunno what it's called(your object's node), but the theory is the same - just find the node that selects the cage but not the object and hit delete..

(elvis voice)Thank you very much, and good night. :p
-Simon.

# 8 14-02-2007 , 02:55 AM
Subscriber
Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

:attn:

I thought it was another bug in Maya 8.5 for mac as there appear to be many :-p

Thanks again! :bow:

# 9 14-02-2007 , 11:36 AM

thanks from me too

i will dig out the old botch up and see if this was the problem it certainly sounds like it was or could be ( I figured at the time it was me what done it)

# 10 14-02-2007 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
you still saving souls Simon.., user added image what you modelliing these days, I haven't touched Maya for weeks, my wife gets annoyed, thinks I love maya more than her?? debatable!

sorry haven't answered the mail, very busy with this film still, I need the London symphony orch??user added image user added image

great you got this one figured guys I never heard of a sofa becoming a cube before?

take it easy and life will be easy
# 11 14-02-2007 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
oh yea, a window a little less scary than the hypergraph is the 'outliner' looks more like a normal browser

female head?? sorry but it looks more like an old man?? I've heard of tough love but THAT would be a killer.user added image better than I could do but... some one should break the news to you.

Last edited by mirek03; 14-02-2007 at 04:39 PM.
# 12 18-02-2007 , 08:49 AM

just as it apeared here let me respond

yeh ... it happens to us all ... but it generaly takes about 68 years ... but even at 68 years old i think she still can be described as a "female" (or do i have to say Old Lady Head"

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 18-02-2007 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
umm?? thought I'd slipped by that one unnoticed!!

well, I hear a slight tone of annoyance.., so treading carefully for a change.., err, actually I think it might be better said that it IS an 'Old lady's head' , I mean it is just the hair (if looking at only the head) that differentiates men and women at older ages, not always but sometimes.

Age is cruel to most of us in ways we can not even imagine.., so it might be better served and a celebration to say 'old woman's head' rather than a sort of clinical 'females head.'

looks err, old!! well done!

got some work to do on the ear there my friend.., I think I saw something at High end 3D, one of those places that makes quick work of the ear, using planes. guess you could google it, might have been one of those websites people put up to help others??

theres a lot of tris around the neck YOU could make quick work of, best get on to that.

Last edited by mirek03; 18-02-2007 at 09:10 AM.
# 14 18-02-2007 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
ROFLMAO Mirek,

Glad to see you're still around - haven't seen ya for ages. Man, you crack me up, you really do. I was really beginnning to miss your sense of humour. Jebus, I read your posts 5 mins ago and I'm still grinnin' ear2ear.

To be entirely honest, I've been rather slack of late - Just got started back @ Tafe last week & I'm abso-freakin-lutely lovin' it. I'm doing an adv dip comp systems, so it's 2 years of ardware, software, cisco systems, html, java, c++, the whole shebang. I LIVE for that kinda content man. I can eat up this computer gig like it was breakfast. Soo, I've not done much.

HOWEVER, we've got visuall studio there on the machines, so I'm havin a bash at making a plugin or 3 for maya. As great as MEL is, there's just not the flexibility you get when programming in C, compiling as a .DLL then renaming it to an .MLL ready to be loaded as a plugin. So you can expect something interesting from me.

Aside from that, picked up an old program I started about 5 or 6 years ago, and have decided to finish. Tetris, of all things - cept I want it to be under 100kb when finished, perhaps under 2or3 hundred k if I include music.

Guess you could call it leaving the brain time to stew with maya. I need some new ideas, and some $$$ for cool tutes so somewhere soon, I guess.

Glad to hear the film's keepin ya busy - so long as neither it nor your wife are bustin ya nuts, that is:p

Watchoo talkin 'bout Willis? :p I thought she had real character, Bruce's woman, that is. Mind you, the issue of her age never entered my mind - too many days of 18/19 hours infront of a computer perhaps??

How did you go anyway Bruce? Did you managed to get her sorted? Was it anything to do with the history and the poly mode? OR was it my favourite trick of converting one way or the other and then _trying_ to undo?

I'm really getting rather curious about her now..

Simon.

# 15 19-02-2007 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
great to hear things are working for you mate, TAFE is a good place to be. I certainly understand your feelings about the computer but lately I have realised it has left me isolated in ways and also not spending much time outdoors, at the beach and places like that.., I think it can make us anti-social, I'm not kidding, anti-social in ways we do not expect or even know or understand. I mean it is nice to walk along the beach and things like that.., it is important to do tht too but also it is good to have a passion like computers.., it is all a matter of balance I think.., so while you are having fun at the computer, I also I hope you remember to walk along the beach and stuff too.., Im sure you will user added image

I say isolated, but it is an isolation that is very comfortable and rewarding, also deceptively unhealthy.., as I said it is all a matter of balance. I love computers and I love the beach.., so why is it I hardly get there (the beach?) but spend all my time at the keyboard?

Ill be watching for your plugins, sounds amazing!! sounds like quite a course. Im doing BCA honours, it is only 12 months but will be an important year, after that it is the BIG WIDE WORLD and all the responsibilities and problems of an irresponsible person who behaves lie a 20 year old at 50.., what a situation?