Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-04-2007 , 03:50 PM

importing a shader into hypershade

i've downloaded some nice shaders off the internet, and i just wanna get them into maya. i have no idea how to do this. I rekon I have surmised that i need to get them into the hyoershade. i tried file import and then selected the mml script, but this didn;t help. Can neone help me? I'm sure its simple to do, just can't seem to figure it out?!

# 2 26-04-2007 , 01:23 AM
Try these steps...

- Assign that material to an object in the 3d software that it belongs.
- Export that object as OBJ.
- Import the OBJ into Maya.

You should find the material in your Hypershade panel.

Hope it helps...

# 3 26-04-2007 , 02:48 AM
sorry i don;t think i was clear. thanks for your advise but the shader is a maya shader. so bringing it into max or rhino or something wouldn't help. I just need a way of imporing it into the programme.

# 4 26-04-2007 , 02:53 AM
Lifetime Member
open the hypershade and rightclick in the workspace area and click file /import and browse to your shader.

# 5 26-04-2007 , 03:26 AM
thanyou for your advise again but i know that. that will work with an ma file. but the shaders i've downloaded seem to have many parts. jpegs, readme's and an mll script. i sumised it was probably thye mll script i needed to import, but when i do this it doesn't appear in the hyper shade. the help says something about importing the whole shader, (all the files) into one of the maya install folders. can neone help?

# 6 26-04-2007 , 05:23 AM
Sounds like your trying to import a mental ray material, usually in the readme file theres instructions on how to go about it as it's not as simple as just importing them into maya, you have to import the different parts into different folders in your hard drive.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 26-04-2007 , 05:52 AM
thanks all. i'll give that a bash!