Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 166 09-11-2010 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
there seems to now be vertical creases on his neck around where his throat is

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 167 10-11-2010 , 09:32 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Chirone

Yeah I noticed, I think it is a texture artifact or maybe a hard edge or something..user added image

# 168 13-11-2010 , 12:03 AM

ARGGGH ZBRUSH DISPLACEMENT

Have been trying to set up a displacement shader in renderman, but somehow I can't seem to get a decent displacement map out of ZBrush.

As you see in the image below on the top left is the displacement map i got out of Zbrush and did a testrender with the topright image as a result, now I know ( or think I do), that Maya calculates from neutral grey ( which is 128 in r,g and b)so I scaled down to 16 bit tiff and did some grading on the image which resulted in the below two pictures, as you can see that testrender looks a lot better than his predesessor , but stil not nearly good enough.

I use Zbrush4 which has the multimap exporter instead of the old way ( with the code) and I can't seem to get a decent displacement out of it, I really don't like ( bliep) -ing around in PS or NUKE or whatever to get the grading correct I just want to generate it straight out of ZBrush so if someone here could help, then that would be great

Attached Thumbnails
# 169 13-11-2010 , 05:52 PM
After an internet search I found out that I shouldn't have listened to the ZBrush recommendations ( I pressed get scale and set the Mid value back to 0....)
Once I figured that one out it was pretty much over and done with and the render did the rest.
I did find it strange that since I generated a 32 bit displacement map the values for alpha gain and offset didn't work anymore at 2.2 and -1.1 , I even went below 1 for the gain ( ???), ah well whatever works right?.

I also have been fiddling with SSS in Renderman, it's just a blinn with SSS properties( is something you can do with renderman) and I only chucked the colormap in the diffuse and tweaked the settings of the SSS by color( have no idea what the values do since if I turn all of them off except one, the SSS doesn't work anymore...grrr...).

I have put the settings in the image as well

C&C en tips are most welcomeuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 170 06-02-2011 , 07:49 PM

Attached Thumbnails
# 171 07-02-2011 , 12:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Just a question..is his skin meant to be that shiny? near the collar bone?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 172 07-02-2011 , 05:58 PM
Hi Bullet,

I think it's because of the high intensity backlight, if you look at the GIF sequence you"ll see it's only in the middle frame, I haven't tweaked the shader very much however, so it could be that reflectivity or specularity is still fairly high

# 173 16-02-2011 , 11:39 PM
Have been fiddling with dr jones again.....C&C most welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 174 21-02-2011 , 12:17 AM
# 175 21-02-2011 , 12:38 AM
The thin red line
please mastone, will you finish this model off and go onto some thing else........dave

# 176 21-02-2011 , 08:50 AM

please mastone, will you finish this model off and go onto some thing else........dave

Hahaha I will, but I use this as a study object and I tend to be a little perfectionistic, so I am sorry I am dragging you through torment....sorry user added image

# 177 21-02-2011 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber
I say well done for sticking to it - I have so many unfinished projects now that I might go a have another go at - when I do I get results like my grimlock image - which I was very happy about.

It has the look of indy but maybe a little cartoon-e-ness at the same time. Not quite photoreal but def looking like him