Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-07-2008 , 09:24 PM

Skinning with clothing

I know another skinning question, I am not sure about how to go about skinning a character that i have modeled clothes for. After i have rigged and smooth skinned do i have to paint weights for body and clothing separately, when i try to paint weights it will only paint on the immediate surface, my clothes have an inner and outer surface plus the body underneath, is there an easy way to do this without having to weight inside and outside the clothing plus the body.

thanks

# 2 08-07-2008 , 01:27 AM
Hi,

you'll need to paint them all, after binding them to the appropriate joints (don't bind the clothes to the whole mesh - only select the appropriate joints and bind to them).

Could you delete the inner faces of the clothes? I think it'll make things a lot easier if you can.

cheers

gubar

# 3 08-07-2008 , 06:05 PM

re

cheers, unfortunately i thought as much, anyone know about any good skinning tutorials that would be appropriate.

# 4 09-07-2008 , 12:13 AM
Hi,

do you really need to keep the inside faces on the clothing? If it is possible, getting rid of them would make it a lot easier for you.

cheers

gubar

# 5 09-07-2008 , 02:07 AM
Senior Software Developer
You could just make life easy and create cloth (Maya Cloth, nCloth), and once the model is set as a collision, the clothes will react to the movement of model.

Thats how I would do it...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 09-07-2008 , 08:26 PM
I would use the copy skin weights.

Bind the object to the skeleton (the whole skeleton) then select then base mesh (the elephant thats had all the weights painted) and then the other object, then copy skin weights (off the top of my head I cant remember where it is, think its in skin, edit smooth skin)

It takes the weights from the underlying mesh and adds them to the other mesh.

YOu could then use ncloth on the clothes after the skinning to make them clloth like (as the nucleus takes over the simulation at the expense of simulation time)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 12-07-2008 , 01:40 PM

re

thanks i'll give it a go, but about making the clothes ncloth, can i do this after binding and weighting? I didnt know this, what did you mean by the nucleus takes over the simulation at the expense of time

thanks

# 8 12-07-2008 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
nucleus is the script that does the simulation of cloth (theres a video to show this off on autodesk's website)

if you watch Kurt's free cloth tutorial you'll understand what he means by "simulation at the expense of time"

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D