Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-01-2003 , 08:21 PM

Need some quick website feedback

Tweaked out my basic web portfolio as I lost my job on New Year's Eve and would like a few opinions on it. Take into consideration that it's designed more for function than to be flashy. I'm going to eventually re-design things to be a bit artsier but for now it is what it is. I had to lighten the big "5" a bit because on some pc monitors it was as dark as the background. Here's the url: Fifthdream.

Oh, and btw, if anyone wants to check out some electronic music I wrote in the 90s, go here. It's kind of mellow drum and bass type stuff. All rough pieces I never really finished. I wrote everything except for "Rabbit in the Headlights."

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 07-01-2003 at 08:25 PM.
# 2 07-01-2003 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
Very sorry to hear about your job loss. I think your off to a great start with your website. very simple and to the point. keep it up dude!

# 3 07-01-2003 , 10:20 PM
Nitro: The text on you site is rather small. Then again I use rather big resolution on my 19" monitor (1600x1200).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 07-01-2003 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
Agreed text is smal. also I get a run time error when my mouse cursor rolls over the arrows.

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 5 07-01-2003 , 10:25 PM
From the perspective of visitor to the site:

As kbrown say's text rather small. With the depth taken by the 5 you could make the viewing window bigger which might help also.

The overall feel of your site seems to have a nice balance of artsy and informative, nothing too flashy - nice start.

Cheers Ryan

Last edited by ryan_godridge; 07-01-2003 at 10:28 PM.
# 6 07-01-2003 , 10:33 PM
1600 x 1200...c'mon! user added image The text is purposefully small but fine for me on 1027 x 768. Bumping it up makes things look a little too...uh..."horsey." for my tastes. I'm going to have to go back and check the DHTML for the scroller. I've seen that error occur before on other computers but it seems random....like it's not mac or pc specific, nor browser-specific. Joe, if I may ask, what are you viewing with? (browser version and platform) The funniest thing about the site is that the only people that see it are recruiters or prospective clients and I usually end up walking them through all the examples anyway. Thanks for all the opinions.

Last edited by NitroLiq; 07-01-2003 at 10:37 PM.
# 7 07-01-2003 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber
I am win 2k with IE6 I also tested with Netscape7 and I get no text but no error on the scroll baruser added image

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 8 07-01-2003 , 10:47 PM
Not bad!

As a designer also, I love the font sizeuser added image

From a usability standpoint, the scrollin-nav seems to work well for for your content.

Also, the five color and brightness issue can be handled by making it a 3 color gif with the main grey beeing #CCCCCC or any specific web-safe light grey.

Then, if anyone has any issues, you can rest knowing that your color is correct, and that they need to calabrate thier monitor.

I run into that dam issue everyday here at workuser added image

My boss is on a Mac, and I work on Pc's AND mac's so it can get VERY hairy QUICK!

Good job man, looks great!

I'd hire youuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 9 07-01-2003 , 10:59 PM
Izzy,

Heh...I know what you mean. I used to work on a G3 at one of my older jobs. I remember editing an image that had a conductor on a black background and it looks black on mac but on a PC...nope...big off-black picture border, not 000000. Heheheh...lots of back and forth. I know what yer saying about the five but you know....color cube schmolor cube...too many shades exist between it and I hate being locked in. The only time I really adhere to it is if I have to combine tables and graphics (say for a rounded rectangle where the corners are graphics). Otherwise what may look right on your box may end up two-toned on another.

Joe: Thanks, I'm going to take another look at my code. Did that original runtime error give you a line number in the dialog box?

--pete

Last edited by NitroLiq; 07-01-2003 at 11:16 PM.
# 10 07-01-2003 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber
I tested on both of my pcs the other is a won xp pro and same problem

Line 19

My New Site MayaFx.com

Last edited by 3djoe; 07-01-2003 at 11:33 PM.
# 11 07-01-2003 , 11:39 PM
well.. i thought it might help if you could see what it looks like on other peoples computors. im not really sure what its supposed to look like, but i dont think thats it cause of the error message at the bottum of the window:p

# 12 07-01-2003 , 11:49 PM
Hmmm. I'm stumped and I don't remember where I grabbed the script from. Even if it works on DB's screen, he still gets the error warning on the bottom of the screen. user added image Maybe I can post the code somewhere and get someone who can code javascript to help debug it.