Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-09-2007 , 08:59 PM

Thug Characture

Just been doodleing with the standard head that you get with Zbrush 3, always fancied doing a 3d characture after I saw a great Sly Stalone one, so gave it a bash with the standard demo head in Zbrush and cane up with a thug like character!

It was a bit of a speed sculpt, mainly using the move tool and the standard brush, with a bit if magnify, just to get more used to making bigger changes to a model. Done in about 20 min on a coffee break.

Thought it was a bit of fun and a bit different, so I thought I would post it to see what you guys think.

Cheers

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 02-09-2007 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber
Hey there Steve,

every time I see some Z-brush work it makes me want to try out the package again I just can't get into it though! I had a very similar issue with AE, each time I opened it up I just got confused and gave up.

I think that one day I'll really need to use it and it'll just click, until then I'm happy to be a spectator.

Nice job for 20 minutes work!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 3 02-09-2007 , 09:55 PM
Cheers Mat

Yeha I found Zbrush a bit hard to get into, theres lots of parts to it that I find confusing, its so so much fun though! Just need to dive in and get stuck in to it!

Once you get the navigation going and the brushes its great.

That only took about 20 mins as I was using a model thats already in there so with a bit of forming with the move brush, removing detials in the previous model with the smooth and then building it up again where I wanted them its a fast process.

Just a bit of fun, adding all the other wrinkles, making morecharacter etc's where it takes the time.

# 4 02-09-2007 , 10:57 PM
Subscriber
nice model

i also found zb hard to get into, but i did find that having great topology helps a lot

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 02-09-2007 , 10:57 PM
nice sculpt steve, he's got the look of a bruiser boxer user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 6 03-09-2007 , 01:12 AM
nice job steve - I like his lazy eye and the rest of his wonky features. as soon as i get some money I need to get zbrush!

I like the bronze looking texture,especially how it looks dusty in the crevices - is that your doing or is it something that comes standard?

# 7 03-09-2007 , 01:42 AM
Cheers guys.

Arran its a downloaded material that I got from Zbrush Central, looks pretty cool.

# 8 03-09-2007 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
Looks more like an old jazz musician than a thug, but again a magnificent job! One of these days I will unpack the z brush demo I downloaded a year ago! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 9 03-09-2007 , 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Lt Jim
Looks more like an old jazz musician than a thug

Haha! Suppose he does in a way! Guess its how you look at it! I was going for a bareknuckle boxer type thuggish look.

# 10 05-09-2007 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
i agree with happymatt.

like AE i found it extremely tedious learning this. Especially as 99% of my time was (and is) devoted to maya.

but yh, nice sculpt dude

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 11 05-09-2007 , 11:46 PM
Cheers man.

The trickest thing I found what where and when to use Zbrush in my workflow, I found the trick is to get all of the basic shaping of a model down, edge loops, flows etc, then UV and import and then do the sculpting, you need a few polys to better define shapes etc then up the poly count and add detials at each level. leaving the pores etc to about 1 million, Ive not really needed to go above that yet. But the more polys you have the more detial/displacement of the emesh you can make.

# 12 08-09-2007 , 07:16 PM
Very nice, looks like a legitimate bronze sculpture, to me at least! I like how it was a quick sculpt but it's so good too!

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 13 10-09-2007 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
Yeah nice one Steve, espeically in 20 mins

love the chochlate/bronze render also user added image