Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-08-2008 , 07:50 AM

Organic Modeling

sorry folks its not a car, i know its a big surprise.....user added image. Anyway my inspiration was from mayaniac organic modeling thread (shoutout) so i decided to do one too im looking forward to improving my modeling skills and heres two days of work , im still working on the ears which is taking me a while. So crits and comments are welcome. heres the ref im using.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-08-2008 , 10:33 AM
well two things.... one, i can actually see a pic in one of your threads! yay! (well i see the reference image, if there's others then it's a typical work blocking thing <sigh>)

and two... the side and front pics of that face line up pretty damned well. did you have to set it up, or did the image come that way?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 05-08-2008 , 10:51 AM
Looks like a nice clean start.

I would loose the loop on the head that splits into a sepperate loop and just rejig the loops you have there already as its seems a tad unnecessary.

Also the eyes look a bit bulgey compared to the ref, theres also quite a sharp line thats under the eyes, I would tend to soften this up a touch. The head needs a tweek to make it fit the shape in the reference pic that your using.

Keep at it and it will fall into place

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 05-08-2008 , 11:10 AM
damn so i take it i'm not seeing the model? <sigh>

i really need to get my DSL up and running again at home. the categories they block at work are really overkill.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 05-08-2008 , 01:09 PM
Very prof. setup for modeling there. I'm not sure what your process on perfecting the likeness of her is, but from the angles you've shown it doesn't have her asthetic, even though it is yet to have texture. I look at her face as a whole and I get a very striking look from her general facial structure (not just that stupid pose). I think the corners of the eyes need to pinch more, and maybe drop part of the jaw down, because your version has a very consistant curve.

Then again, you might not be going for the absolute replication, so it's a good start. Do you use sub-division proxy modeling? it's got good continuity in the mesh, share with me your technique =P

'Sup Jono.
# 6 05-08-2008 , 05:29 PM
thanks for the crits
@neostrider - i dont remeber where i got the imga but it was already setup like that.
@gster123 - ahh i see thank for pointing that out, i will work on it.
@rollie - thanks im not going to replicate her 100% maybe 90%, as for modeling its all polygons, as for technique i use box modeling method for this, but there a great tutorial on edge flow here https://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xls25e...eature=related

# 7 05-08-2008 , 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Good start but for it to look 90% like her you may need to change the jawline, the girl in the ref has a square face while your model has an oval one and I'm not sure if I buy her nose bridge. The mesh looks clean, come along well.

- Genny
# 8 05-08-2008 , 11:55 PM

Originally posted by younglion
thanks for the crits
@rollie - thanks im not going to replicate her 100% maybe 90%, as for modeling its all polygons, as for technique i use box modeling method for this, but there a great tutorial on edge flow here https://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xls25e...eature=related

Ah very similar to my technique, but I think it's better. I used to firstly align the planes so that they make a cross shape, and then create a polygon box and model around those, but I see that this leaves more scope for continuity instead of being confined to the edge loop of a box. Thanks for the vid. Ever use sub-div proxy modeling? It's very similiar but more vision in what it will look like.

'Sup Jono.
# 9 06-08-2008 , 03:51 AM
@rollie - ive never used subd's for anything, personally i dont like it and also takes very long to render in mental ray compared to polygons.
@gect - yes i see i will work on that part.
heres an update.
user added image

# 10 06-08-2008 , 11:41 AM
the cheaks look a bit big.

As you've got the basics there I would give it a tweek with a lattice to better match the reference images.

I would try to get it as close to the reference as possible tbh

# 11 06-08-2008 , 02:53 PM
I would be interested in an overlayd screenshot from (orthographic view, in case you use it for modeling) your geometry (in xRay) in front of the reference pics. right now in this early stadium of work it looks like you modeled it freeHand without ref. maybe you didnĀ“t lign up verts close enough to the reference.

good work anyway dude!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 12 06-08-2008 , 07:29 PM
thanks for the comment i will pos the xray of the head with the ref, im working on the cheeks at the moment, i will post updates tonight.

# 13 07-08-2008 , 01:54 AM
few more changes.
user added image
user added image

# 14 07-08-2008 , 08:26 AM
Looking a LOT better

# 15 07-08-2008 , 07:06 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Looking a LOT better

thanks gster123