Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 08-01-2009 , 11:07 AM
Theres something in windows 7 that organises the windows together, so it sets it up nicely.

It also has encryption enabled for external storage, (pretty good for government people leaving USB sticks with everyones info on in a pub).

Home networking setup's been streamlined so it can see any other windows 7 PC on the home network off the bat (if you want it to) so no fiddeling about, as well as streaming media from one PC to another. That is if you want it to.

On the blue ray side its native to the OS being able to read/write to it so theres no 3rd party software, so it is a good windows thing.

On the window resizing with the inclusion of hi res monitors not having the ability to use all the sides/corners is a pain, I thought I was the only one who uses it all the time.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 08-01-2009 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 08-01-2009 , 07:21 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
using f9, f10 and f11 and can quickly switch through windows and have access to the desktop, i really miss it on windows

So what is actually new in windows 7

# 19 08-01-2009 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
yes i know that, and with the flat aluminium keyboards you just hit f3 or control f3 or fn+ those f9 f10 f11 keys
(which brings me to a point about those funny keyboards... why not make them devoted keys like you get on microsoft keyboards?)

but, when the window i'm switching to was the last one i looked at windows's alt tab wins here

i have to say, having the button as f3 is a lot better since the left hand is on f3 anyway unless you're using your mouse with the left hand, although you can't use the key as f3 unless you push the fn key (again, why not make it a devoted key?)

as for windows 7 i expect at the very least windows explorer wont be as bs, and be upgraded to how it was in windows xp... or have that option.... (i dont quite understand why they would downgrade to Mac's Finder layout, you can't go up in the folder heirarchy unless it was open before)

Originally posted by elephantinc

did you see the link? in hammer's first post?

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 08-01-2009 at 11:55 PM.
# 20 09-01-2009 , 09:29 AM
Finders horrible.

Originally posted by elephantinc

Theres quite a bit new in it, Ive put up a few bits that are new to it, do a bit of research.

Direct access to the desktop thats a feature in windows 7.

# 21 09-01-2009 , 10:17 AM
"Direct access to the desktop"

Whats that?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 22 09-01-2009 , 10:19 AM
If youve got lots of windows open at the same time and you want to access the desktop for whatever reason you click the bit between the clock and the edge of the screen to go to it. Rarther then minimising many windows.

# 23 09-01-2009 , 10:34 AM
Isn't that basically what the "show desktop" button does? And thats been around since... a long time... (can't remember if ME or 98 had it) :p

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 24 09-01-2009 , 10:36 AM
Acid44
yea, the show desktop button does that... and it's been around since windows 98, as an alternative you could aways right click the taskbar and cllik "show desktop" too...

# 25 10-01-2009 , 11:01 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
on my mac f3 doesn't do anything and f9 + f10 +f11 are devoted

The improved home networking sounds good (if it works) because its such a pain at the moment

# 26 10-01-2009 , 11:46 AM
The Nurb Herd
I'm not bothered about the mac pc thing, but it seems as tho all windoze 7 has is a dock and widgets.
I think what everyone wants is reliability and speed. So if it has that then its cool.

I've got a Hofner 500/5 to sell and when i do, i'm buying a pc. the only reason is because they are cheap.

# 27 10-01-2009 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
If youve got lots of windows open at the same time and you want to access the desktop for whatever reason you click the bit between the clock and the edge of the screen to go to it. Rarther then minimising many windows.

wndows+d = show desktop, right under you hand too

i haven't found a use for widgets...

# 28 10-01-2009 , 09:21 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by Chirone
wndows+d = show desktop, right under you hand too

i haven't found a use for widgets...

I find widgets on my mac great, i can look at my gmail account, monitor memory usage, cpu usage etc, read the mactips.com blog and read the daily dilbert comic.
You can do similar things with vista widgets, cant you?

# 29 10-01-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
probably, but it's not as cool as the mac widgets where you pusha button and you get an overlay with them

like i said, i never used them...

# 30 11-01-2009 , 11:37 AM

Originally posted by hammer.horror
I think what everyone wants is reliability and speed. So if it has that then its cool.

Exactly