Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-03-2009 , 11:39 AM

combining polygons

i'm using maya 2008 unlimited and am trying to combine polygons to create a tyre but its not combining

thanks

Attached Images
File Type: bmp mmayaa.bmp (179.2 KB, 280 views)
# 2 27-03-2009 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber
what do you mean it's not combining?

you just select the meshes, and hit the button on the shelf or Mesh > Combine

are you getting errors? what is the error? you can only combine two polygon meshes

when you combine the pieces of geometry will act as one, the pivot point will be at the origin of the scene (so you'll probably want to move that if that's not where you want it to be) and stuff happens in your outliner and hypergraph

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 29-03-2009 , 09:38 AM
i get the messages current selection doest match selection type and invalid selection polyunite nees at least 2 poligonal objects when i try to combine or merge.

# 4 29-03-2009 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
you probably don't have any polygons selected

are you're pieces of geometry polygons? or NURBS or sub-d

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 30-03-2009 , 12:23 AM
i created them under the create>polygon primatives and i am holding shift and selecting te objects still comes up with error messages though