Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 12-03-2012 , 02:02 AM
calling me a bloody legend?? I take no credit. This is Mitch Zais's blog.

However, I did come up with a script that makes the process easier.

In my maya shelf I created 2 buttons with the code:

1. Create Membrane

Code:
createMembrane;
2. Set Collision Object

Code:
string $selectArray[] = `ls -dag -ap -sl -s`;
string $obj = $selectArray[0];
connectAttr -f ($obj + ".worldMesh[0]") membrane1.collideMesh;
And I saved Mitch Zais's membrane settings as a preset.

So if you want to make a plane wrap around a sphere, select the plane, click Create Membrane, select the sphere, Click Set Collision Object. Then in the set the settings given by Mitch Zais and save it as preset. So now it's a 3 step process.

However, you need to delete history of the 2 objects as soon as you're done. This only works with one membrane at a time.

# 17 12-03-2012 , 02:13 AM
O, and did I forgot to mention there is a polyShrinkWrap tool originally created by Kiaran Ritchie? I know ctbram gave a hint about this, but he didn't say that it actually works:

user added image

https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...polyshrinkwrap

quote from link:

This is a modeling tool for Maya. Select some vertices, shift select a target mesh(s) and run the MEL command 'polyShrinkWrap'. The selected vertices will be projected along their normals until they collide with the target mesh(s).

it is outdated though, but I found one built for maya 2012 and has been using it since

https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1025381

that ends your search gentlemen?

Last edited by bruceoutdoors; 12-03-2012 at 02:15 AM.
# 18 12-03-2012 , 06:55 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL no mate...the 'bloody legend' was for finding this little nugget.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes