Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-07-2003 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber

Game modding

Anyone here interested in game modding?

Discreet (the makers of 3DS MAX) have a pretty sweet program called gmax just for this purpose. It's completely free and essentially it's 3DS MAX 4 that has had the irrelevant bits chopped out of it (such as the renderer). It's small and easy to download for those of us bound by 56k. A help file and a set of tutorials are also available for free download.

You can download it and find more information here.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 2 28-07-2003 , 11:02 AM
Some of us are already modding games with Maya, but thats a nice gmax advert you got there.

# 3 28-07-2003 , 07:11 PM
Hehe.......gmax or maya........hmmmm.....Ill go with my maya.user added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 4 29-07-2003 , 01:00 AM
Isn't gmax just Discreets version of Maya PLE. Anyway, i'll go for maya.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 29-07-2003 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
Gmax is a cut down version of Max, Maya ple is packaged with UT2003, amongst others and there is a growing mod community using it and Maya.

The real issue is compatability with the game engine you are working with but there are plugins and things about the place.

In terms of free / cheap alternatives to the full versions of things I would rather work in Maya PLE or indeed even Milkshape than Gmax, but I have never been a Max fan. I don't find mod making in Maya to be a problem in terms of useability, my sub standard skills notwithstanding .user added image

Last edited by Witchy; 29-07-2003 at 01:09 AM.
# 6 29-07-2003 , 11:17 AM
I tried learning and using Gmax when Discreet first released it.......I gave up on it short order too....... Im finding Maya much easier to get started with and thats made me want to stick with it as well... Discreet can keep gmax