Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-10-2003 , 11:43 AM
user title spammer

Buying Maya - need help

Hello!

I need to buy a comercial maya licence, since i only got a student licence right now.

I live in Germany, but i want to buy it in the US, because the prize is about 500 USD less than in Europe.

Now, a friend of mine lives in California, could he buy Maya over there in America, and send it to me in europe ? or are there any problems with Wavefront then ?

Can he buy a "white" maya, without registering or anything? of course i want the software to be licenced on my name, not on his.

Thanks for any help!

Ulrich

# 2 15-10-2003 , 11:48 AM

Re: Buying Maya - need help

Originally posted by train_ucl
because the prize is about 500 USD less than in Europe.

you win stuff for buying maya?

# 3 15-10-2003 , 12:05 PM
Subscriber

Re: Re: Buying Maya - need help

Originally posted by Zyk0tiK
you win stuff for buying maya?

I'm tipping he means "price"

I have no idea if that sort of thing is possible, but it sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 4 15-10-2003 , 12:06 PM
user title spammer
hmm ?

in Europe the prize is EUR 2099 + tax and everything about EUR 2300, in usa the overall price is about EUR 1800.

# 5 15-10-2003 , 12:07 PM
user title spammer
ok lol ... yeah price of course ... sorry but my english-teacher gave me up a looong time ago user added image

# 6 15-10-2003 , 12:17 PM
Uh oh... Here in finland the local distributor sells maya complete (nodelocked) for

2349 eur
+ 22% vat
+ 76 eur shipping and handling
------
tot. 2942 eur. (3422 USD)

= friggin robbing imho.

Maybe I should contact Alias and start re-selling Maya too user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 15-10-2003 , 12:21 PM
user title spammer
22 % VAT ???? and i thougt our 16 % were far too much!!!

i really can´t unterstand alias ? why do they sell it only physical? i don´t care about the cds ... just want a licence, nothing else ... and i don´t want to pay 16 % vat.

# 8 15-10-2003 , 12:27 PM
Would it be possible to give all your information to your Californian friend and have him register it under your name at time of purchase (if that's possible or even legal)?

(edit) Now that I think about it, technically, it's black marketing the software. I lived in Germany for 4 years and had all sorts of dire warnings about buying things in the US for German friends without paying the tax. However, I do believe it would have to be in large quantities before any official would get their knickers in a twist.

# 9 15-10-2003 , 12:29 PM
Yup, been 22% here in Finland as long as I can remember. Now that we're in EU I've bought many things from Germany. For example my camcoder and wacom tablet. I've saved a pretty penny doing so.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 10 15-10-2003 , 01:57 PM
user title spammer
i phoned alias germany, they told me, they would not care wether i buy it here or in the us. i would get german support and so on even so i got an "american version" ...

next step, i need a distributor in the us, a friend going there and NOT registering the softwar (if thats possible) but just buy it, than sent it to me and i register here.

@black marketing: worst what can happen is, that you need to pay the VAT ...