Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-07-2010 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber

Car modell rendering & adding environment

Hey guys!

I am working on a car presentation & i need some information about rendering. Almost finished with the car modelling & i ll do a bit of texturing. If i am complitly done with environment & car, how to start rendering? Shall i use layers?
like render the
1.car scene
2.environment
3.sky
or do some more?

i am thinking on a video like this
(i am not sure if i can post here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fIqR...os=7ur0Aa4yn14)

I know its almost like life & my wont be so Professional but i try user added image
Thanks for the help

joe

# 2 12-07-2010 , 02:48 PM
If you have compositing software like after effects, photoshop, combustion, gimp, etc...I would recommend rendering in layers. You will have MUCH more control over the final output and you can achieve a much more realistic render.

I usually render the following layers/passes

Diffuse
Occlusion
Specular
Shadow
Reflection

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 12-07-2010 , 03:10 PM
The thin red line
Perfecto
could you recommend a good tutorial on redering layer............dave

# 4 12-07-2010 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
yepp, that would be very helpful. i was checking utube for this layer stuff, to understand how it works.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nuksyiKlbI
Maybe the end of the video is a good part to understand how it works.

btw. How many render do i ve to do of a picture/scene ?

Originally posted by daverave
Perfecto
could you recommend a good tutorial on redering layer............dave

# 5 12-07-2010 , 03:16 PM
I've created one but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to post it. I learned from a combination of the Maya Help and a few tutorials that I googled. I'll see if I can find the ones that helped me.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 12-07-2010 , 03:44 PM

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 12-07-2010 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber
thanks, i am on it user added image
Download started user added image

Originally posted by Perfecto
Came across this on youtube...looks really good for compositing the layers. It's in after effects but I pretty much use the same process in combustion. Combining the layers also work the same way in photoshop, gimp, and other photo editing software. Still looking for some tuts on how to create the layers.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3a_...eature=related

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS9W3APRMfQ&NR=1

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IS0...eature=related

# 8 12-07-2010 , 03:56 PM
What version of Maya do you have Joey81? How you create the layers will depend on your version of Maya.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 12-07-2010 , 04:36 PM
Not the greatest but this might help some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1ChV0DfQw

If you have newer version of Maya, then you won't be able to right click a layer and choose preset. Instead, you will right click a layer and choose attribute. Then once the layer's attributes are open, you will see a presets button in the upper right corner. Right click the presets button and then you will see occlusion, etc.

Sometimes I create a separate render layer for each pass. But most of the time I put objects a,b,c... on a render layer and then add all my passes to that layer. That way I can create another layer for objects d,e,f... and create passes for that layer. It's more complicated so I won't go into it. Just know that render layers are different than render passes and the video I posted is using render layers themselves as the passes.

Edit:
Display Layers = Layers that determine which objects are displayable.
Render Layers = Layers that determine which objects are renderable.
Render Passes = How are the renderable objects going to be rendered

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 12-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.
# 10 12-07-2010 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber
I use Maya 20009 x64 Unlimited. I had earlier a 32bit version, but that was sh!t. It freeze like every half an hour... funny but i had more save file on my Harddisk than jpg user added image)))

If you have newer version of Maya, then you won't be able to right click a layer and choose preset. Instead, you will right click a layer and choose attribute. Then once the layer's attributes are open, you will see a presets button in the upper right corner. Right click the presets button and then you will see occlusion, etc.

Sometimes I create a separate render layer for each pass. But most of the time I put objects a,b,c... on a render layer and then add all my passes to that layer. That way I can create another layer for objects d,e,f... and create passes for that layer. It's more complicated so I won't go into it. Just know that render layers are different than render passes and the video I posted is using render layers themselves as the passes.

Edit:

# 11 12-07-2010 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Maya was freezing a lot.
I was using the same Pc as now.
4core X4 810 @ 2.6, 4gb ram, Ati 48xx vaporX
This pc in 2009 a lot of money & it freeze for 4months.. Then i put a 64bit Windows 7 & everything become fun user added image

# 12 12-07-2010 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
thx!!! i'm downloading the new one too
This wont be easy to learn user added image

Edit: