Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-07-2004 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber

Robot Cat

I know I promised to finish the Apache, and I will, but here's something new for you all user added image

I just started this robotic/mech cat, and here's what I've got so far.

This isn't your normal household cat, but a big cat (haven't decided whether to go for tiger, panther or whatever yet, maybe I'll just do a couple of different textures when I get to that point).

The idea is that the body is divided into sections and that the skeleton, wires ect. shows in between. Haven't got too much yet, but c&c always welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 2 12-07-2004 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
indeed that you don't got much yet...but Im sure that would change user added image
can't comment yet...maybe if you get further down the road...
do you use refs ?

# 3 12-07-2004 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
I did a schetch this weekend of the body from a book I have on anatomical drawing (animals and humans), but I haven't got a scanner, so It's basically done "by hand", I just use the drawing as inspiration... Still haven't got any idea how to make the head though...

And yes, updates should be on the way... Just not tonight... I just got a call from an on friend from school who wanted to buy me a beer user added image

# 4 13-07-2004 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
Update time! user added image

Added the calf part, and hopefully I'll get the foot and maybe even the front legs done tonight...

user added image

Last edited by blomkaal; 13-07-2004 at 08:07 PM.
# 5 13-07-2004 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber
Here's another update:

Finished (more or less) the foot and the paw, claws might still need a little work...

user added image

And a complete shot. I think the thighs might be a little too small compared to the calfs...

user added image

# 6 14-07-2004 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
Cool cat...
It seems like you're making the exoskeleton of the cat first, and then putting in all the "needed" mecanical parts later?

Your work make me want to create a biomech as wel. I think It's so cool when it's animated and stuff, and you can see the joints moving, and wires stretching and stuff...
Keep it up!

-DX-
# 7 14-07-2004 , 10:25 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the praises user added image

Yeah that's exactly the look I'm going for user added image

# 8 14-07-2004 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
I can see where you going with this blomkaal...and I like it! keep drawing...maybe you'll get some inspirations for the head user added image

# 9 14-07-2004 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber
Thanks man, I really hope so... But I think I'll focus on the body for now though user added image

YE-HAW, UPDATE TIME! user added image

Not much, but I've made the thigh of the back leg a big thicker

user added image

And added the front legs (basically just duplicates of back made sleeker and the calf a bit longer)

user added image

I'm worried that it's shoulders might be getting too wide and that's it's going to seem "boxy", and I've thought about tilting the legs a bit outwards... And suggestions?

user added image

Probably gonna start working on the skeleton next...

# 10 15-07-2004 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
Before I'm off to bed, here's a shot of what I'm thinking of for the spine... Don't think this is final, but it should give you an idea of what kind of look I'm going for...

I want the spine to run all the way from the skull, throught the body and then become the tail, growing larger as it runs between the two bodyparts and then thinner and thinner in the tail...

user added image

C&C, suggestions and ideas are welcome of course user added image

# 11 15-07-2004 , 01:35 AM
I like the tail/spine. Sometimes simple is better.

As a huge mecha fan especialy animal mecha:

Dont bow the legs out. Trust me it will look unnatural, especially when moving because felines run witht heir legs more centered under them.

The shoulders from your image look very good width to me. You even have room to extend the shoulders up higher to make it look more powerfull. make the thigh a LOT larger... if you would like to see why i have some pictures of lyger mechs from ZOIDS(Lyger= Tiger/lion hybrid) that would show why.

# 12 15-07-2004 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
Thanks alot! Yeah I guess you're right about not tilting the legs... Sure I'd love to see what you have!

# 13 15-07-2004 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber
Currently working in the spine between the two main bodys, and I was wondering what would be the best way to make it arc downwards?

The spine consists of a cylinder and the bone like parts as in the screenshot above, and I've tried adding a IK Spline to the joints and binding them to the cylinder, but I can't make the bone parts follow the cylinder. Should I make it from one piece of geometry, or should I try something completely different?