Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-12-2004 , 05:54 PM

scaling a skeleton

Is there a way to scale a model's skeleton along with the model. I tried selecting the model and all of the skeleton's joints but when I scaled it up (or down) the skeleton did not keep it's proper relationship with the model. It did transform but not the way I expected.

I would like to make the model with a skeleton then have the ability to scale everything as needed. How do you do this?

# 2 11-12-2004 , 03:48 PM
I think ive done this before by making a locator then parenting the root of the skeleton to it, then parenting all of the geometry of the character to the same locator. Then you can just scale the locator and it should all scale with it.

# 3 11-12-2004 , 09:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

# 4 11-12-2004 , 11:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, group the root joint with any IK handles and such and it should scale fine.

# 5 11-12-2004 , 11:58 PM
ok, what I did was bind the model to the skeleton. NOw, all I have to do is select the entire skeleton and scale it, the model will follow since it is bound to it. The eyes and inside of the mouth are point constrained to specific joints within the skeleton. To get them to scale properly, I just select them along with the entire skeleton and EVERYTHING will scale together. I haven't set up the rigging yet but I think that all I'll have to do is select the locators for each control just as I have to with the eyes and teeth.

To be honest, I would have thought that there would be an easier way to scale a completely rigged model.

# 6 23-11-2016 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber

I think ive done this before by making a locator then parenting the root of the skeleton to it, then parenting all of the geometry of the character to the same locator. Then you can just scale the locator and it should all scale with it.

HOLY CRAP! I'VE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER THE INTERNET FOR THIS SOLUTION! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

# 7 04-01-2017 , 06:15 AM
To be honest making locators to do a global scale isn't the proper way we do in the industry. Always remember joints bind to the geometry, controllers are constrained to manipulate the joints. All animators touch are the controllers themselves and thats it.

You will essentially have 3 main group nodes or containers. "MESH", "JOINTS", "CONTROLLERS". Each one has underneath what corresponds to it. After each joint that you want to be manipulated has its own controllers you then add a "PLC" which is short for placement controller, which basically is a nonkeyable controller that animators use to place a character, prop or vehicle in position in the scene.

This PLC controller as well has an attribute you make that connects to the Scale X,Y and Z of that same controller, that way animators just manipulate that controller's new attribute called "Global Scale" and they don't have to worry about it again. The PLC is in other words the "root" and main controller of your entire rig.

Feel free to check out my website! (:

https://dlopezdemedrano.com