Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-01-2007 , 03:15 AM
Subscriber

Poly extrude tool Problem/Question

hey guys, well ived had this problem for a while and though it was normal but i dont think it is anymore from when i saw tutorials etc. when i extude a bunch of faces and then slowly move the vertices after extruded, they seem to not join together they just seperate. also i just noticed in xray view, is it me or does it look abit odd? is there an option somewhere which i could make them all be one instead of hide under another? heres a screenshot...

marlon

user added image

Last edited by marlonjohn; 24-01-2007 at 03:17 AM.
# 2 24-01-2007 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
'ello mate,

have a look in Polygons->ToolOptions. You want to make sure that Keep Faces Together is checked.

on the left is an extrude with the option checked, on the right are the results when the option is turned off.

Simon.

Attached Images
# 3 24-01-2007 , 03:52 AM
Subscriber
ello ello...

sweet as simon, thanks soo much mate... this will save me heaps of time when im modeling. all the time i have to spend an extra 10 mins just selecting the vertices and merging them. thanks again user added image

marlon

# 4 24-01-2007 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
Always a pleasure Marlon.

I learned about this one the hard way, after I'd already done Franky's hands and feet. They looked fine until I did a conversion to subds, nooooooooooo! Damned curse of the floating ovals.. I don't want to even think about how long I spent trying to fix _that_ mess user added image

s.

# 5 24-01-2007 , 04:17 AM
Subscriber
"I learned about this one the hard way, after I'd already done Franky's hands and feet. They looked fine until I did a conversion to subds, nooooooooooo! Damned curse of the floating ovals.. I don't want to even think about how long I spent trying to fix _that_ mess "

hahaha, thats what happen to me when i was doing the Ninja tutorial by kurt... after my hands coudnt go into subdiv, i simply just coudnt handle it after trying soo many times countlessly.