Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 17-03-2009 , 04:29 PM

Can we exclude vertexes from paint weights?

Hi, I'm modeling a fairy and I want to exclude the wings from the paint weights, its causing me some frustration!! Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jo

www.jowand.com
# 2 17-03-2009 , 04:35 PM
I have just exported skin weights maps for all the joints. I'm worried though that Im going to spend a couple of hours doing this and the weights will be wrong so it wont work. I'm still very slow and have to pose my character, render a turnaround and have it ready for animating by tomorrow... Ohh theese weights!!!

www.jowand.com
# 3 17-03-2009 , 04:47 PM
Hey Jo

Go into component mode and then the verts in the wings, with them selected goto windows->General editors->component editor, in the smooth weights tab set them all to 0, this removes any weights on them.

When your painting weights remember to only ever add, never take away weights when painting as you never know what joint/vert their influence is going to go onto.

Also if your in a hurry and you have 2008 and above, pose the character, select the verts that poke out/in and then goto skin->edit smooth skin->Smooth skin weights, you might have to do it a couple of times, this is a nice way to get a nice skinning going especially on the torso, it wont do it all off the bat but its a start that may save you some time.

To go back to your bind pose just select go to bind pose from the skin menu.

Hope it helps

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 17-03-2009 , 04:56 PM
Thanks Gster, I'll try the smooth weights. Im on 8.5 though... I painted the wings totally with skin weights for the axis and the clavical bones in the spine. This meant less weights going wrong everywhere else and has helped alot!!

www.jowand.com
# 5 17-03-2009 , 07:00 PM
I now have a different problem... I have posed the character, the skin weights aren't good but The pose is most important for my hand in tomorrow. I need to alyer the mesh a little by moving some vertexes around but now the skin weights are there they are all different colours and I cant eem to move them around normally... Any suggestions please?

www.jowand.com