Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-03-2011 , 10:00 AM

Maya 2011 Extrude Issue

The following videos illustrate the problem when extruding 2 faces in Maya.

Modo can handle the extrude but I cant seem to do the same in Maya

Maya Extrude

Modo Extrude

Thanks Guys

# 2 16-03-2011 , 04:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
One thing you could try would be to turn "keep faces together" off and then merge the vertices together after?

# 3 18-03-2011 , 01:38 PM
Subscriber

One thing you could try would be to turn "keep faces together" off and then merge the vertices together after?

no that would not solve the problem. when maya extrudes with "keep faces together" it actually does extrude the faces seperate and merges the verts afterwards in the center.

modo does it different. it appears that it extrudes each face with the same "keep faces not together" method, but then it does not merge the verts in the center, but in the intersection of the connecting edges. not exactly sure how that would work if more than 2 faces meet in the to be merged vertex.

if you had exact knowledge of that you could try to write a script to simulate modos extrude in maya. i think mayas method of merging in the center is mathematically easier since it is independent of history and or location of neighboring elements.

and to make a long story short: maya does not have a extrude problem only b/c it does it different than modo. but then maya is not modo. otherwise the other way around modo has a extrude problem over maya. user added image

# 4 18-03-2011 , 03:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
select the faces
click extrude
press r
hold d
snap pivot to opposite corner holding v
hold cntrl and click and hold on the red (x) handle
move the mouse and scale to whatever size you want.

does that work?
might only work once.

Last edited by honestdom; 18-03-2011 at 03:15 PM.
# 5 18-03-2011 , 03:46 PM
Hi clearairstudios,

To my knowledge, Maya does not have an extrude method that works like what you are seeing in Modo and even 3dsmax. Hopefully one day though it will as it would be very helpful especially for complex objects that are not symetrical in anyway. I like to use the method that stwert mentioned. I've never run into any geometry that it wouldn't work on, you just have to merge verts afterwards. It takes time but gives perfect results.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 18-03-2011 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber

select the faces
click extrude
press r
hold d
snap pivot to opposite corner holding v
hold cntrl and click and hold on the red (x) handle
move the mouse and scale to whatever size you want.

does that work?
might only work once.

sry, i don't understand. how does this make the extruded faces having the same normal direction and keep the faces together? is the extrude be done w/o keeping faces together? and if so how do you merge them afterwards so each resulting face has the same normal as the original ??? i tried the instruction and could not get anywhere user added image (or is this solution only for this specific problem and won't work universally on any extrudes?)

# 7 18-03-2011 , 05:48 PM
The Maya Mountain

# 8 18-03-2011 , 05:50 PM
The Nurb Herd
ah, this is specifically for that box video thing. that extrude problem is just a case of specific work arounds i believe.

# 9 19-03-2011 , 04:37 PM

# 10 20-03-2011 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber

Sorted by using this python script:

https://bit.ly/dX4aQV

thank you for finding that. it is a nice plugin. been playing with it a bit today and its very useful user added image. fair warning though - it is very sloooooow once your model reaches a lot of faces. wish they would add the option to mayas native extrude (e.g. called "preserve border edge offset"). also after using this plugin don't touch your history - or you will get really funky results ...

# 11 08-04-2011 , 02:49 PM
This is now solved in Maya 2012. user added image