Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-03-2016 , 09:11 AM

What is the best way to unwrap this thing!

Hi I'm newbie in UV mapping, so recently stumbled on problem with a space base that i'm working on.
Ripping my hair off for days now !!! because of it :/

Usually I use UV master from Zbrush for organic models but don't know what is the best workflow for hard surface low-poly models made in Maya.

The base consists of multiple hard surface models that i need to UV map properly if i want to make some normal maps to add details and make a color map, spec map, emissive etc.

The objects are fairly simple but I can't find any way to unwrap them without stretching. Please see the images.

I try to automatic projection and then sew some edges but it's seems to me like hazardous work without better results than this.

If you have experience with this type of multi objects topology UV mapping please advise, or if you know some UV-ing software that can be of any help...

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards, user added image
Chris

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by bydesigno; 26-03-2016 at 09:16 AM.
# 2 26-03-2016 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
Hi there.

I have been doing a lot of Hard Surface UV`s lately - Its my new job.

Had to learn a program called UVLayout - Its very easy and lots of training out there for it.

Here is a personal project I am working - only mid way though this part but as you can see complex shapes but yet very little strecking. The map itself still needs to be packed up but it shows what the program can do.

Wish I had found this years ago.

Hope it helps - Good luck

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 26-03-2016 , 10:16 AM
Woow that's look much more complicated than my base :-)

I heard for Headus UV layout, but didn't know it is so good in hard surface UV-ing.

Thank you for pointing out.

But I really want to know how to do it in Maya peace by peace. Is it more slower than with UV layout ?
Because I heard many of the studios works this way.

# 4 26-03-2016 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
You can do it in Maya but I found it took a much longer time.

Studios use what ever tools gets the job done - and if it can be done quicker that would save them money. Person with the most experience with studios on this forum is JAY.
Maybe ask him some questions.

I used to project planar maps on the different angle faces then stitch them together, or projecting from camera angle, but UV mapping was not my strong point and a slow process, but been working on it the last few months. UVLayout is the quickest tool with the best result I have found.

# 5 26-03-2016 , 11:38 AM
Thank you!

Your answer really helps.
Really appreciate.

# 6 18-04-2016 , 12:53 PM
Mayas Uv unwrapping is also very good I found.

Especially with the unwrapping feature in top left corner - can't remember the button name,

But works a treat. I would learn maya unwrap first - then Headus Uv.

Graham