Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-09-2009 , 12:35 PM
Subscriber

Australian R18+ Rating

Haven't posted here in a while so i may as well start a discussion.

Left 4 Dead 2 just got banned in Australia due to the fact that we don't have an R Rating. That basically means that if a game is deemed unsuitable for anyone 15 years or younger it will not be sold in Australia. I for one disagree and think that as mature (mostly) people we should be able to have an R rating. Whats everyone elses opinion on it?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 2 28-09-2009 , 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
I agree with you, the majority of gamers are adults anyway, many of whom are 30+ so I don't see why not. But there are enough people who think games are for children which is BS because there are tons of cartoons and toys that aren't for kids lol.

- Genny
# 3 28-09-2009 , 09:22 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Problem is the general public is ignorant.
I remember the 'hot coffee' scandal, one newspaper reported 'A game containing...<description of hot coffee mod>...is being marketed at children'
I dont need to tell you what is wrong with that sentance

Parents need to stop buying their kids adult rated games, they have age ratings for a reason.
Movies are often far worse but no one bats an eyelid because watching movies is culturally acceptable.

I could go on all day about this but better not...

# 4 28-09-2009 , 09:42 PM
I want to say one thing...that standard is changing with generation and it is happening so fast.

You cannot ignore this fact...not matter how.

Also like elephantinc said, some movies are far worse, but they are getting the away by defining as "culturally acceptable."

# 5 28-09-2009 , 11:14 PM
ive always had a funny thought why is it that they sell toys in toy stores which are aimed at children yet the toy is based on a film which is m15+ meaning legally the child shouldn't have seen it.

# 6 29-09-2009 , 12:35 AM
EduSciVis-er
I think higher rated games should be allowed to be sold as long as it is enforced... but like so many things, these rules aren't enforced and so kids play mature games and get completely desensitized to sex, violence and language (not necessarily in that order user added image )

# 7 29-09-2009 , 03:22 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by anasasis
ive always had a funny thought why is it that they sell toys in toy stores which are aimed at children yet the toy is based on a film which is m15+ meaning legally the child shouldn't have seen it.

There isnt an M15+ rating anymore, it was lowerd to just 'Mature' (so 13-16 ext)

Some of the reasons for not having an R rating make sence IF they where marketed for children. The fact that games can be as violent as movies is true but games are interactive so the immersion is more of a factor.

Many parents these days are ignorant as to what their children are watching, or don't really care. It amazes me how many times ill walk into a video shop and see little children asking parents for high rated movies, and parents just letting them.

As iamcreasy said, the standard are changing as violent games are becoming more realistic and prevalent so it only makes scene to adjust the rating system with it.

# 8 29-09-2009 , 04:15 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by stwert
get completely desensitized to sex, violence and language (not necessarily in that order user added image )

made my day user added image

the whole thing seems hypercritical as they say the ratings system doesnt work so dont have an 18+ one but they still have ratings

People just need to stop being so ignorant of games.

# 9 04-10-2009 , 04:17 AM
this is bullshit. a video game is a video game. you're shooting zombies for **** sake!! if you are not harming anyone then people need to mind their own business. society (and video games) are not made for children. which is not to say that it's black and white. i wouldn't be too happy with a game that, say, encouraged kiddie fiddling, so i do think that society can and should regulate mediums to a certain extent, (notice how there are no children in gta) but i think encouraging the masses towards acceptable behaviour through positive examples is far more effective than banning artforms. in this case tho, we are talking about zombies, but more to the point, pixels!

# 10 04-10-2009 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
From my limited knowledge this mostly comes from colombine and how the kids where using DOOM as a platform for this negative behavior (someone correct me if i am wrong)

It takes one or two cases of people being idiots to ruin it from everyone else.

Interesting note too on the 'shooting zombies' thing, One point in the banning report was that they where 'Humans, infected with a rabies like virus' not technically zombies... cause people know the difference user added image

# 11 06-10-2009 , 09:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
We had to edit SAW down quite considerably to get an M rating in north america. I wouldn't be surprised if Australia doesn't even sell it.

# 12 07-10-2009 , 02:09 PM
Subscriber
Odd, i thought that we get most American titles. Most of the time they are Banned for other things, not quite violence. Fallout 3 was because of Drugs and things. Its pretty screwed up, they need a much clearer system.

# 13 07-10-2009 , 11:09 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 14 08-10-2009 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber
Not really, like valve said it is an ADULT game not a 15 year old's game.
Seems like a cop-out to let the same content through just with less blood.

# 15 08-10-2009 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber
i'm pretty sure those games came here in NZ uncensored... although I dont know.... i don't play such things.......

it's like australia has their own Jack Thompson...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D