Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-02-2011 , 09:17 AM

Problem with rotating shader

I've downloaded this awesome shader: https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...ental-ray-maya

and applied it to a sphere.

I also downloaded this plugin: https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...on/c/wobble--3

And applied also that to the same sphere.

Now I want the the sphere to wobble for a while, stop, and then start to rotate.
But when I render, the later part of the animation where the shader is supposed to rotate stays frozen. Anyone knows what this might be about?

I've tried to rotate the Hdri image and that works. The problem is that I don't want the light to change, I want the bumps of the shader to "rotate".

# 2 08-02-2011 , 04:16 PM
The bumps are either projected file textures or 2d procedurals or 3d procedural textures. To ensure the relationship between the projections transofmations and the spheres are maintained you can simply parent the texture transform nodes to your sphere for a simple solution.

However this will not work for deformations unless you create a texture reference object or bake the textures out as 2d files and add those to your shader in place of the 3d procedurals.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 09-02-2011 , 05:37 PM
Hi LauriePriest, thanks for your reply. How do I parent the texture transform nodes to my sphere? Is it somewhere under hypershade or?

# 4 11-02-2011 , 02:11 PM
texture transform nodes will be in the outliner in root space (world ) by default so if you see it there just parent it to you object as normal. If you cant see it you can select it in the hypershade ( just graph the shader and it will be connected to your 3d procedural or projected texture).

They are called place3dTexture# by default so if you want to do a string search of your nodes just type *place3dTexture* into the select by name line on the status bar and they should be highlighted in the outliner which will help you dig down if they are parented down in anothe group.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 15-02-2011 , 09:05 AM
Ok! I found an "alternative" solution, I went in to place3Dtexture and changed the rotation there, which gave me the much wanted result. Thanks for the pointers!