Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 28-05-2011 , 10:36 PM
So I'm coming along nicely with Buzz, I think the modeling is almost finished, but I still have a few things to patch up: the buttons on his chest, a few screws to here and there, and the laser on his arm, the lightbulbs in his wing. I think that's it. Oh, and his head... It's much much better than the previous version. That was just bad.... But it's still not perfect, maybe I will revise it later on.

So soon I can advance to the texturing and rendering phase. I will make the little stickers, and in addition to the plain colors I will do some scratches, as I mentioned it earlier. I'm not sure with this though, but I'll definately try and see how it looks.

And the setting is a question also. I'm planning on a simple background. Maybe just a studio render, maybe something a bit more interesting, but the colors are important here, I need Buzz to contrast the background, so I need something darkish... And for final renders I will try out some nice poses! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 28-05-2011 , 11:34 PM
wow! looks great...

# 18 29-05-2011 , 06:05 AM
Waiting for your final render!

# 19 30-05-2011 , 04:22 AM
To Infinity And Beyond dude................ Good Luck................

# 20 31-05-2011 , 05:13 AM
Excellent!! Very nice to see your progress shots too. Keep it up!

# 21 01-06-2011 , 06:12 PM
Thanks guys user added image
I only had a little time to texture, so I started doing his face... Still not ready, his eyebrows are missing. And a lot of details. But I couldn't wait and started to think about the setting. First I did something black to emphasize him, but it was too empty.. So I decided to go with a Toy Story like setting. I saw it on a few Toy Story 3 backgrounds. It is really simple so I did it quickly. And added some lights - I was thinking about kind of a stage lighting, like he was an actor or something in the beginning of a show (basically one big main light from top).
And I don't know about the pose yet... I did two for fun, I was thinking something like these. What do you think, which one is the better? I'm also thinking about making one where he touches his arm to shoot the laser.
(oh, and the positioning was just a quick job, his arms are not the best... I will fix it in the final shot user added image )
Comments are welcome! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 01-06-2011 , 09:23 PM
I like it a lot... user added image

# 23 01-06-2011 , 10:11 PM
# 24 01-06-2011 , 11:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think a laser firing pose would be very cool, knees bent, head tilted down...

# 25 02-06-2011 , 12:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Cool man...LOL I like the one where he is on one foot...being goofy.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 26 02-06-2011 , 01:22 PM
DUDE! I love this! Its like a shot straight outta Toy Story itself! The modelling and Render is SPOT ON. I'd also love to see a render of him standing in his laser shot pose. user added image

I had a feeling this one would be good! Well done so far!

# 27 02-06-2011 , 09:05 PM
Okay, I did every modeling I think, and I textured Buzz, so I think I'm almost ready! user added image
I'm not satisfied with the renders though... So I will tweak the lights and some other stuff, but I don't know when will I have the time for it.
In the meantime here are two renders! I discarded the two previous poses, cause I think these are better. One is the laser shooter pose (though the actual Thinktoy figure can't bend his arms this much...) and a bit more funny spanish Buzz pose! user added image What do you guys think, which is better?
If I have time, I'll upload a wire later on.

Oh and thanks for all your comments! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Daveido; 02-06-2011 at 09:08 PM.
# 28 02-06-2011 , 10:03 PM
Hey..i like the second render.
Personally, i think you should work a little bit more on the floor..texture or reflection maybe.

# 29 03-06-2011 , 04:11 AM
Nice render Daveido Looks really Cool.................

# 30 13-06-2011 , 11:30 AM

Final Render

Hi guys,
So, not much new on the model, just minor changes, corrections, and a brand new render. So I'm finished with the image, I didn't have much time last week, and I don't know how much will I have in the future... So this is my final image! user added image
But if I have some time, maybe I'll model some of the bucket o soldiers, and add them to the scene just for fun user added image

Attached Thumbnails