Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-09-2003 , 02:19 AM

Maya's crashing, its not like max

Hi, I have recently switched to maya from max and am having some trouble with it. When i start up maya and make an object, i can move it around for about a minute then the viewports freeze. If i change from perspective to 4 views the viewports go fuzzy with withe lines. If i go to the hardware buffer then exit the viewports are ok again for a short while the freeze again. I think i know that its because i dont have good enough hardware for it but is there any setting i can change to make it tun better?

In max i had trouble running it with direct x so I used the software renderer and it worked fine. Does maya have a software renderer for the viewports?
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Kate

# 2 16-09-2003 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
This may be OpenGL problem because maya uses that for the viewports... what kinda video card are you using?

-Emo

# 3 16-09-2003 , 05:12 AM
I've got sis650 integrated graphics, 256mb ram, pentium4, win xp

# 4 16-09-2003 , 12:59 PM
Sounds like you need to buff up your machine a bit, both RAM-wise and with a proper vid card.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 16-09-2003 , 01:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
heh, kinda funny, at work, it's Max that's always crashing. user added image

# 6 16-09-2003 , 02:12 PM
Yeah, sounds to me like an OpenGL/Direct3D Hardware Overlay issue.
(or lack of Hardware Overlay capability)

Maya requires a vid card that supports that.

You don't have to get a kik-a$$ vid card to reap the benefits of HW overlays, as my current (dead) machine was using an OLD Oxygen VX1 32 meg card running the latest XP drivers.

Worked fine for me, even doing DVuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 07-10-2003 , 11:03 PM
Maya requires a MINIMUM of 512MB of RAM to work properly. You've barely got enough to start it. The more RAM and faster your CPU the better. No it's not like MAX. It's much, much better. user added image

Spend some money, beef up the machine, then you can use the good stuff. user added imageuser added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu