Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-12-2014 , 09:24 PM

Nurbs curves?

So I'm trying my hand at modeling a vehicle with nurbs curves and I'm having an issue with my image planes. I attached a snip and if you look in the front window the curve doesn't line up, it's not even close. I've moved the image a few times and even switched sides and even tried a few other curves to try and match the curve to the image. I switched models even because this was happening on a different model as well. It's something stupid or simple I should say but what am I doing wrong? I draw it out in my top and then match it to the other windows or images (and body lines) but it will not line up in the front image. It swings out at the end. Even if I start with the belt line it does the same at the end, it swings out, way out from the car. I drew it out in the front but obviously it's the wrong direction. My images are all resized and their all facing the correct direction, at least for the way I model. Does it matter if the image plane is in the negative or positive direction from the grid? Stupid question but I don't know.. Thanks..

p.s. the curve isn't the belt line but like I said, even the belt line does the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-12-2014 , 11:03 PM
The thin red line
It looks to me that the reference drawings are out by a big bit, I had the same problem with my ford truck. What car is it..................dave

# 3 04-12-2014 , 11:22 PM

It looks to me that the reference drawings are out by a big bit, I had the same problem with my ford truck. What car is it..................dave

It's a 68 or 69 Dodge Charger. I think you're right about the image being scanned or drawn different sizes. The images are the same size but the actual drawing or vector images are different. I attached another snip with some curves drawn out and you can see how far it's off. Can I up the size in maya then to kind of fix it then?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 05-12-2014 , 12:40 AM
The thin red line
I use locators to match up view plane but it looks to me that your front plane is way out in shape, your curves look like I would expected the car to look like from the front...............dave