Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-05-2006 , 07:16 AM

How do i lower poly count?

Somewhere along the line, i accidentally gave my model a rediculously high poly count. (around 130,000)
Whenever i try to use polygons>reduce, it produces spikes shooting out all over the model. Can someone PLEASE help me fix this problem?

# 2 05-05-2006 , 12:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
the reduce command is pretty much useless to create efficient results. The only real way to lower your polys cleanly is to do it manually.

# 3 05-05-2006 , 01:46 PM
...but...that would take years.....:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

# 4 05-05-2006 , 01:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
I doubt it, but perhaps have a poly limit in mind before you start for your next project. user added image

Good luck

# 5 05-05-2006 , 02:05 PM
is there any way i can convert the polygons to something that i can controll more easily? Maybe theres a way to export with a lower count? Anything really. It would litterally take years to do this by hand. I did one too many subDs in zBrush and overwrote my file.

# 6 05-05-2006 , 11:41 PM
I am having that problem myself. Yeah, what Mt.Mckinley says is what I usually do. But then again, I usually dont have 130,000 polys user added image I dont usually use that many, as Im a beginner and not doing high def. models.

# 7 06-05-2006 , 08:05 AM
I pretty much agree with Mr. Mountain. When I have too many polygons I go this way. select an edge convert it to a ring selection or use loop select. (MJPolyTools is handy) a loop I usually delete and then delete the vertices. ringselect is cool, cause you can then hit Collapse in the polygon menu. this way you can clean your topology pretty fast. with the split polytool change your loops and collapse again.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 8 08-02-2016 , 08:26 PM

this is how u do it

first u click reduce
then u go into its attrs
then u see where it says sharpness
then u change sharpness to 0
then u press 3
then its smooth and gooduser added image

# 9 19-04-2016 , 07:29 PM

same problem

I need to reduce my polygon count from 400,000 to below 100,000 to export as OBJ (to fix other problems)

When I reduce the number of triangles or reduce by percentage, it completely shatters the geometry with the error message:

// Error: line 0: Current selection doesn't match required selection type. //

I've cleaned up non-manifold geometry and fixed holes. Next step is to pull my own eyes out.

Any help appreciated

@immakid

first u click reduce - done
then u go into its attrs - (reduce options?)
then u see where it says sharpness
then u change sharpness to 0 - reduce options > shape > sharpness=0 done
then u press 3 - just press the 3 button? What field?
then its smooth and good