Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-10-2015 , 07:39 PM
EduSciVis-er

Mesh Cleanup does nothing

I've got a peculiar problem where the Mesh > Cleanup is being completely ineffective. I have a mesh with some bad areas that I know have tris and ngons, but the Cleanup tool returns nothing.

Whether I select 4-sided faces, Faces with > 4 sides, Non-manifold geo, it all results in no faces being selected. The quadrangulate command also does nothing, although weirdly if I triangulate the mesh and then quadrangulate, it does try to fix the ngon areas.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-10-2015 , 07:51 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well, I discovered that the mesh actually had a couple of tiny face islands (it was a ZBrush export). Mesh > separate and deleted those, and I thought that would fix it, but it didn't. I'm in the same boat. Any other potential problems that might be hindering this? I feel like cleanup is the exact tool I need to be using to discover the problems the mesh has, but it's hanging me out to dry.

# 3 29-10-2015 , 08:04 PM
The thin red line
Try the add divisions to face, select as object exponentialy set to 1 and quads, this will add faces to all your mesh...............dave

# 4 29-10-2015 , 08:18 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hmm, that's not exactly what I'm wanting. I ended up getting reliable results with the "Polygon Selection Constraint on Faces" tool, which you brought my attention to in another thread. Choose Next Selection and Nsided, and I was able to clean it up by hand, which is tedious, but will give a better result.