Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 31-03-2011 , 03:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Well well Jay I didnt realise you were into black dresses mate LOL...hhhhhhhmmmmmmm?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 47 31-03-2011 , 04:03 PM
Looking v impressive!

Perhaps the grading is too strong, maybe see what a split tone looks like or maybe even sunset, midday can be a little stark and has less pretty colors?

Other little details, the sillhouette of the houses is hard to distinguish since they dont loose contrast and saturation over distance. Maybe add a little distance haze or re-arrange them a little .

Also it feels as though they should be arranged in a more communal manner, they seem randomly orientated and scattered. Its tricky to know which one to look at / what is going on in the piece.Is this just a test or a final layout / angle too?

Other little thing is the reeds seem stiff, maybe sag them as they get further to the top. Also make them go yellow toward the bottom, check out some ref I think they musnt store much chloroform near the water. Maybe throw in some dirt mounds and bit of earth under the water where its shallower.

Dirty up the bottoms of the stilts to make the houses feel worn and used,.. maybe even throw a floaty poop or two in the water user added image... then its been lived in for sure.

I like your photograhic qualities! I know thats alot of feedback but thats a habbit user added image, very pretty piece, feels very professional.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 48 31-03-2011 , 04:37 PM
EduSciVis-er

I think they musnt store much chloroform near the water.

Heh heh... I think you mean chlorophyll user added image

I also think the grading is a bit strong... I kinda liked the early WIP style, with the colors less strong (I guess that's a gamma issue?). Either way, I think it'll look great.

# 49 01-04-2011 , 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
I'm getting strange visuals from that one Jay lol.

Laurie, wow that was comprehensive! Thank you! ^^. I definitely did not have the time to detail the scene the way I wanted, and not adding grime and wetness to the stilts and ladders did bother me. I thought of sunset but it wouldn't have been as naked and gritty. I also wanted to add some variation and chaos to the foliage but time forced me to move on, though tweaking the textures as you pointed out should've been easy enough. In all honesty, the village arrangement was me trying not to make it too too obvious that the houses where dupes of two models. I don't know what happened to my rails, I had them earlier in the post and then they disappeared but I didn't even think of them til afterwards. Dirt mounds were part of the earlier plan but then I saw this place (see ref) and was like "yes! that!". I should've added that turd, just have it bob up and down near the camera lol.

I might just take this over to the w.i.p section afterwards.

Stew. Agreed, I toned the color grading down a notch (atleast I hope so, I've been staring at it so long I don't even know anymore). The earlier test with the gamma issues did have a sort of pastel feel to it that I liked user added image

Raphael, the water is just a cube for the sake of refraction depth. The bump value for the ocean texture is very weak, I was thinking displacement but that would be overkill for this. Here's the attr editor snap shot.

And the ref I mentioned earlier.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

- Genny
# 50 01-04-2011 , 09:17 AM

Heh heh... I think you mean chlorophyll user added image.

lol! yes i did user added image ...

All cool, still looks great! GJ

FX supervisor - double negative
# 51 01-04-2011 , 09:14 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
I went through the docs and i switched off diffuse weight and a Transparency value of 0 and it came out great ....but i see that your playing around with refraction options