Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-10-2004 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber

2nd poly head: Male Elfin

Right, here's my second poly head. Lots of learning since my first one. I need to add some detail in there with sub-d's but my laptop keep crashing out whenever i select a sub-d vertex (any ideas about this wud be helpful) Its also my first experiment in the world of textures.

Think I'm going to work on this a bit, maybe a bit of animation and even risk the bold and give him a body. Any ideas/ suggestions/improvements wud be great.

I'll post a wire soon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 18-10-2004 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
And the wire...

Attached Images
# 3 18-10-2004 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber
I've just made a sudden realisation on how the edge loops work around the eyes. I remember seeing on a website that they shud be like 'goggles'. Now i've finally clicked! Its not only allowed me to increase the detail control around the eye, but added some extra detail to the bridge of the nose, and let me redirect some of those lines across the nose to give cheek, jaw and mouth definition.

Question is: Is this a move in the right direction, or is it a complication that will cause problems later with deformation?

Any views on this wud be greatly appreciated, as wud anyone elses WIP.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 18-10-2004 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber
And the smoothed version...

Already looking a little more defined I think, just time for that pushing and pulling of all my new vertices, smooth out the features.

Any C&C for this one?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 18-10-2004 , 09:53 PM
Not bad mate.... Just try and smooth out the skin a bit more. The line work looks very clean so far keep it up.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 18-10-2004 , 11:58 PM
Subscriber
A good couple of hours pushing and pulling one vertex at time, and a few ambient lights added. Got some better brow definition, but i think i cud still do with forming the eyelids better. Maybe time for some proper texturing... not something i've done before...

# 7 18-10-2004 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber
hhhmmm... didn't post my picture... d'oh

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 19-10-2004 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
and after a little work i think this looks a little better. warmer. And this really has to be quits for me today. I can't take any more minor, pixel by pixel, tweaking.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 19-10-2004 , 03:31 PM
hehe very nice man, thanks for the advice... the only thing i have to point out is theres some sort of crease going in your edges right above the ear... the only way i can even see it is becuase of the light.. you can fix this by selecting the edges that are out of place and just softening the normals.. anyways it looks really good.. if your going to give him a body i cant wait to see it.. later

EDIT: upon taking a further look the crease seems to follow all the way around the front of the ear... maybe even the back.. but i cant see it that view.. anwyays as far as actual looks.. i got nothin to crit.. so keep at it! i start working on my head again once i get home tonight... for some reason work has a way of sucking all the energy right out of me so i hardly ever get anything done on the weekdaysuser added image

AIM: Psuedo Realizm

Last edited by Psuedo Realizm; 19-10-2004 at 03:34 PM.
# 10 20-10-2004 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
Thanks PR! See what u mean with the crease. Had a good look at it and played about with the renders, and i think its an artifact caused by a reflection of the ear in the skin shader. Looks like i'm going to have to go back to the drawing board on that one. Like i said, texs just ain't my thing.

Added in some (basic) eye texs as reference points to help me finishing defining that upper lid. This has to have been the hardest part of all this so far. One tiny little crease, so much effort!

Any other C&C welcome, but i think i shall find a nice body tutorial and work downwards. Either of the organic modelling or the ninja tuts r looking promising....

Progress:

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 20-10-2004 , 08:17 AM
Subscriber
Hey Kerosene, looking good.

What reference did you use for your model??? I've got a wicked Maya book called 'Maya Character Animation' by Jae-Jin Choi, and he uses a model of a head that looks distinctly like the one in your wire frame shot. Was just wondering if you used it for reference...its an excellent book.

LisaG user added imagearanoid:

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 12 20-10-2004 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
Used one of my previous head model as an actual reference plane, which was built from the Joan of Arc tutorial reference. Then from there i just reshaped, based on the reference in Jae-kin's book and i think it was one of Jango's replies to another head modelling thread. The technique i used was the polygon by polygon method. I did my first head using the process of Mikes poly head tutorial right here on simply maya (which i've just gone to put a link to but sadly found it relegated to the archives!). But i cudn't get the jaw and brow formation right with the amount of lines i needed for the detail.

This head is based on the construction technique in Jae-jin Choi's book. I think my primary difficulty with Mikes tut was attaching the ear. It added so many extra lines, particularly beneath it and radiating towards the face.

The original thread, along with images and wireframes, is here.

Now my only problem is I can't seem to manage to get the same detail into the ears without making the mesh excessively heavy in that area. If you've got experience with Jae-jin's style and technique then any solutions you've found to this dilemma wud be very welcome!

# 13 20-10-2004 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
And yes, for all those ppl searching these head threads as means to build their own- like I have many a time - then you cudn't go far wrong with this book!

"Maya Character Animation" by Jae-jin Choi... for those of you who managed to miss that one.

If you're out there watching, thankyou very much, kind sir.

# 14 24-10-2004 , 09:58 AM
Subscriber
Another great book to recommend - Maya Character Creation by Chris Maraffi. Some great modelling concepts and some interesting views into advanced character control

# 15 25-10-2004 , 08:55 PM
yeah... i have that book.. to me his style seems to unpredictable.. you dont quite know what your going to get until its finished and then you gotta spend alot of time tweaking.. but thats just my experiances with it... i could always use more practice as you can see with my head modeluser added image .. anyways keep up the good work man

AIM: Psuedo Realizm