Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-01-2005 , 08:02 PM

Good text book for texturing and shading?

After reading 4 maya reference and fundamental books, I think I have enough of modeling at this point. While each book has a brief chapter of texturing, they are less detailed and not very helpful. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a Maya texturing book, which may include UV mapping, shading and bumping, and maybe some useful tips for beginner and intermediate. I greatly appreciate it. If you also know some good Maya lightning text book, please let me know as well. Thanks!

someone say bye, someone say hi
some may forget you, but never would i...
# 2 02-01-2005 , 05:53 AM
Subscriber
I wonder too about good UV map techniques and complete texturing process books. I am hoping Mike McKinleys book for the game artist will address some of my questions.

Here's a great book on lighting:
Digital Lighting & Rendering by Jeremy Birn.
Novices and intermediates will get the most out of this book.
It's not application speciffic, but it's better than that imho. It teaches lights, art and cinematography fundamentals. Highly recommended.

There's also a digital Texturing and Painting by Owen Demers in the same series. I dunno how the book is coz I haven't read it.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 3 04-01-2005 , 07:04 AM
Thank you for the suggestion! I will check that book user added image
I really feel helpless on UV mapping. For all the books I read, there are just a paragraph or two mentioning it, without any details. I don't know if that's because UV mapping is too easy they think a dummy can handle that without guiding, or too complex and they don't want to spend more pages on this topic... There are some good tutorials on web however they just skip some steps (basic I think) and makes me stuck at certain point. user added image

someone say bye, someone say hi
some may forget you, but never would i...
# 4 04-01-2005 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
Yeah i would love a book on nothing but texturing and lighting and all that stuff. Someone here should make a book on just that, nothing else. Have a model ready so that we would be able to texture. I think...the trex model has texturing tutorials also right?

# 5 07-01-2005 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber
Here's a video tutorial that have helped me gain some understanding of the UV maping process. It answers a lot of questions that I had. The instructor is Michael McKinley whom I enjoy learning from because I think he's clear and a great educationalist.

Goto:
https://www.mtmckinley.net

Click Tutorials, then Modeling
There is a video there called Polygon Texturing.

Hope this helps.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 07-01-2005 at 10:17 AM.