Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-09-2005 , 09:07 AM

Training videos ?

I have done some searching on the web and have found many training dvds from many different companies. what training videos do you think are the best and where do i get them ?

# 2 03-09-2005 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber
Personally, I think the training videos from here are the best. Look under the Video Training tab at the top of the site.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 3 03-09-2005 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
Me 2, not to pricy but very good for quality wise. Great stuff.

# 4 03-09-2005 , 04:15 PM
digital tutor have very good tut on whatever you want

# 5 03-09-2005 , 06:38 PM
The dvds here AND from Alias are the only dvds I reccommend to my friends and studentsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 03-09-2005 , 07:55 PM
I just purchased a set of dvd's and 2 books from alias' site. They were all a great help for a beginner like me. The dvd set was "Maya 6 Beginner's Bundle" and it covered the basics on:
Modeling (with nurbs, polys, and subdivs),
Animating (using keyframing and rigging),
Rendering (this section wasn't very in depth and hardly covered texture mapping at all, but it was still rather informative for a beginner),
and Dynamics (rigid/soft body dynamics and particle effects)

Along with the dvd bundle I also got the books "Maya at a Glance" and "The Art of Maya". These aren't a lot of help as far as a being a teaching tool but they do contain a good deal of useful information and are highly illustrated.

Overall I was quite pleased and the whole package cost me only $55. I'd recommend it to anyone that is new to Maya and/or CG. In my opinion however, if you alreadly have a basic knowledge of the aforementioned topics covered in these dvd's, then they probably won't be that great of an asset to you.

# 7 06-09-2005 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber

Simply Tutors

The tutorials here and at www.digitaltutors.com are the best I've used. The tutors here and at DT are nice, because they result in a finished project, which gives you a sense of accomplishment.

The tutors from the Gnomon Workshop are nice, detailed, and taught by industry artists from places like Industrial Light and Magic, but . . . and this is very big but . . . at $49-$69 a throw, and each covering only a small part of Maya (e.g., Lattices) you can quickly go broke.

I would avoid the ones from 3D-Palace. While you can get many of them for free, you get what you pay for. May of them are half done, promising that they will be completed at some point and aren't.

Can't go wrong with Simply Maya and Digital Tutors. You also might check out Kurv Studios. Like DT, they are inexpensive and high quality. Until recently, they've focused on Lightwave, but they've started to add tuts for other apps.

# 8 06-09-2005 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber

Re: Training videos ?

Originally posted by jim1174
I have done some searching on the web and have found many training dvds from many different companies. what training videos do you think are the best and where do i get them ?

An amazing set of tutorials which will take you from total newbie (like me) to intermediate to advanced user are the tutorials available at lynda.com. You can even get the .mb files that they use throughout the tutorials.