Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 09-04-2003 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
wait dude.. you did not put a \\ (or a /) between maya4.0

its supposed to be
maya/4.0/

or

maya\\4.0\\

# 17 09-04-2003 , 06:42 PM
I must of missed that on that go. I just tried again and it diddn't work.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 09-04-2003 at 06:54 PM.
# 18 11-04-2003 , 06:27 PM
Subscriber
clean up everything and start from scratch,, start up notepad,, and write down each and everythin you do... post it here...

# 19 12-04-2003 , 11:55 PM
Firstly, my maya directory isn’t C:\Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\maya like most of you guys. For some reason it’s C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya. Don’t ask me why this is cos I don’t know user added image , I tried to reinstall maya, but that didn’t change it, so I’ll have to live with it.

OK…here goes.

1. I put the GIJoe_icon.bmp in the folder C:\AW\Maya4.0\extras\icons (as instructed in the pixho.com instructions)

2. I put the GI_Joe.mel and GIJoe.lights files in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya\4.0\scripts

3. I opened the file GI_Joe.mel in ConTEXT, went to the line 57 [which is string $pathL = "e:/vfx/mans/maya/scripts/GIJoe.lights"; ] and changed the path in that line to "C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya\4.0\scripts\GIJoe.lights"; – that’s where it’s GIJoe.lights file is.

4. In maya I typed: source GI_Joe;
GI_Joe;

I pressed Alt+Enter to execute and the GI_Joe preload window appears.

5. I close the GI_Joe preload window and highlight the text entered in point 4. and drag it into the shelf and give it a name [GI_Joe]

6. I press the GI_Joe shelf icon and the GI_Joe preload window appeared.

7. I clicked Go Create and the following message appeared in the script editor: // Error: File not found.: C: Documents and Settingschrismaya4.0scriptsGIJoe.lights //

I tried all the following commands to get the slashed to appear:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\chris\\maya\\4.0\\scripts\\GIJoe.lights

C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya\4.0\scripts\GIJoe.lights

C://Documents and Settings//chris//maya//4.0//scripts//GIJoe.lights

C:/Documents and Settings/chris/maya/4.0/scripts/GIJoe.lights

Each time I executed this command I got this syntax error: // Error: Syntax error //

Well, I’m doing everything the instruction ask for but it isn’t working user added image

Last edited by doodle; 13-04-2003 at 12:00 AM.
# 20 13-04-2003 , 12:19 AM
I just wanna add that i just perfectly installed the CPS MEL so the GI_Joe problem cant have anything to do with pathways or directories because i'm installing them in the same place.

EDIT: Just installed the createTube MEL...and yep, you guessed it...that work too.

This is really weird user added image user added image user added image

Last edited by doodle; 13-04-2003 at 01:20 AM.
# 21 15-04-2003 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber

3. I opened the file GI_Joe.mel in ConTEXT, went to the line 57 [which is string $pathL = "e:/vfx/mans/maya/scripts/GIJoe.lights"; ] and changed the path in that line to "C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya\4.0\scripts\GIJoe.lights"; – that’s where it’s GIJoe.lights file is.

$pathL = "e:/vfx/mans/maya/scripts/GIJoe.lights";

if its this, then you dont have to change the whole line, you just have to:

$pathL = "C:\Documents and Settings\chris\maya\4.0\scripts\GIJoe.lights";

you dont have to change the whole line!!!

# 22 19-04-2003 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
did that work????

# 23 25-04-2003 , 12:17 AM
No...i didn't change the while line, i took out replaced everything bewteen the " & " with my own path.

# 24 25-04-2003 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
wow a month and 18 days and you still can't ge this to work??

it took me longer to read the instructions than to actually edit and install it....

it's not that hard!... at first I got an error because I didnt use the \\ slashes... but I did that and it worked

my line 57 in GIJOE.mel looks like this

string $pathL = "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Maya\\My Documents\\maya\\4.5\\scripts\\GIJoe.lights";

-Emo

# 25 25-04-2003 , 01:32 AM
YAY....IT WORKS

When everyone was telling me use double \\, i was editing the text in the command line. No one said place the \\ in string $pathL in notepad or whatever....

# 26 25-04-2003 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber
hehehehe, user added image

Glad I could help

-Emo

# 27 25-04-2003 , 02:24 AM
Lol, glad to know you solved your problem.

# 28 08-05-2003 , 12:02 AM

Thank god for this thread

I just wanna say thanks to everyone that replied on here because i couldn't figure out how to install it too, and because of this thread I got it too work now. THANKS EVERYONE!!