Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-07-2003 , 01:57 PM

Help with Dog tutorial

Still trying hard to learn here... am doing the dog tutorial and everything looked like i was doing well..... had the dog shaped, selected the side with no legs faces and deleted... had half of a dog like I was spose to.... then I went to convert subd to poly and set all like the tutorial said to........ then I opened the Outliner and my outliner was different than the tutorial said it should be......... instead of having SubdTess and pCube.... I had only polyToSubd1 user added image
I tried to just finish out the dog thinking maybe the tut was written on 4.0 and I have 4.5 but it just doesnt work... I can join the dogs halves but I end up with a sharp edged blocky looking dog, not all smooth like it was before I got the convert point... Im not ure how I ended up going wrong....... I THOUGHT I followed everything step by step. user added image
Im going to start it all over as soon as I post this but Im hoping someone could maybe tell me where I went wrong so I know what to look for next time or what to pay attention to in the future.

Thank You, Jared user added image

P.S. how can I reset ALL the tools in Maya 4.5 complete?

# 2 20-07-2003 , 02:04 PM
hmm started the tut over checking everything I do with a fine tooth comb....... when I convert poly to subd... in mt settings should I have "Keep Original" checked? All my settings are default and this isnt checked with default settings. If it should be checked then which should I have Standard or Proxy Mode checked?
I checked these settings because when I first created the poly cube I had my outliner opened....... I saw the pCube like I should have had in my last attempt at this tut..... but when I converted to subd the pCube was gone and all that was in the outliner was polyToSubd1.......

# 3 20-07-2003 , 02:17 PM
hmmm tried the convert settings I mentioned above...on just a simple poly cube converted to a subd then one face extruded, split and left half deleted...... so I dont have to keep making the dog over and over until I can solve this problem........ and like I said I tried the settings I mentioned above - Keep Original with both Proxy and Standard checked and neither setting produced what I should be getting.
Someone please help me..... Im going nuts here...

# 4 20-07-2003 , 11:44 PM
7 hours and no one can answer that for me? my last post has been over a week and no one answered..... why would I wanna pay money to a site where I cant get an answer especially about one of tutorials from this site???

# 5 20-07-2003 , 11:55 PM
well there is a forum dedicated to it so you may want to post there. But keep it civil I know it can be frustrating to not get an answer quickly but today has just been a quiet day on the board. Email the author of the tute personally or send them a PM cause people are really helpful on this board seriously! So chill out and set away from the computer user added image

try emailing Kevin or PMing him I'm sure he can sort it out or put you in contact with someone who can user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 20-07-2003 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
7 whole hours! You should sue! This isn't instant messenger you know, you could have a little patience as lots of people here are very helpful.

I don't suppose the PolyToSubd entry has a + sign next to it in the outliner does it? If it does click on it and your shapes may well be underneath it.

# 7 20-07-2003 , 11:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
Also, you're most likely to get an answer only from the fellow who actully made the tutorial to begin with.... I'm not certain who made the dog video you're refering to, whether it be Kevin, Craig, or otherwise.

# 8 21-07-2003 , 12:21 AM

Appologies

Im sorry if I sounded hostile, it wasnt my intention at all... I just so badly wanna learn and I guess I let my frustrations show in my post. Please forgive me and please dont write me off as a hot head because thats truly not me user added image
Im going to take everyones advice and see if I can get my problem solved. Next time I promise to exercise a bit more etiquette. user added image

# 9 27-07-2003 , 08:53 AM

Re: Help with Dog tutorial

Originally posted by Harvezter
Still trying hard to learn here... am doing the dog tutorial and everything looked like i was doing well..... had the dog shaped, selected the side with no legs faces and deleted... had half of a dog like I was spose to.... then I went to convert subd to poly and set all like the tutorial said to........ then I opened the Outliner and my outliner was different than the tutorial said it should be......... instead of having SubdTess and pCube.... I had only polyToSubd1 user added image
---
P.S. how can I reset ALL the tools in Maya 4.5 complete?

It sounds like you selected Poly to Subd's instead of Subd's to Polys. polyToSubd1 is the result you get from a Poly to Subd operation. Make sure you're converting from Subd's to Polys and not the other way around.

The quickest way to reset all tools in Maya is to delete the preferences. You can find those in My Documents\maya\4.5\prefs.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 10 27-07-2003 , 09:00 AM
Thank you very much Danny. I will try this out. Im so new at this stuff its very possible that I did exactly what you have mentioned user added image