Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-07-2003 , 03:34 AM

Filling holes problem

user added image

Ok, There are some slits in this object and i wanted to give it some thickness so i duplicated it, scaled down (for the inside part) combined them so they are the one object. My problem is trying to fill the gaps (pointed out in blue), the way i did it was to extrude the edges out on both sides then merge verts in the middle, i want them to be flat so i tried to delete the middle edge but maya says they are border edges.

There is probably an easier way to do it, which i'm hoping someone knows and shares with me user added image , but i'll settle on a way to get this one flat and then i'll repeat the process on the reamaining 8 slits.

Any help would be appreciated, even if you have a better technique for modeling something like this where i have to start from scratch.

# 2 29-07-2003 , 03:39 AM
Might be a vertice problem make sure they are merged.. If that is not the case make sure you dont have duplicated faces.

If it dosen't fix it... post up a close x-ray image so i can have a look see....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 29-07-2003 , 04:10 AM
The Maya Mountain
easiest way to fill those gaps would be to combine the two objects (Polygons > Combine) and use Append to Polygon Tool to fill in the gaps (Polygons > Append to Polygon Tool). You may need to reverse the normals of the interior piece first (edit polygons > normals > reverse).

# 4 29-07-2003 , 08:07 AM
Cheers Mike, that exactly what i wanted.

Kurt, i went checked all the verts, all merged. What's the duplicated faces? is that when there is one right on top of another?

# 5 29-07-2003 , 12:53 PM
schmick

Yeap duplicated faces is when you have one right on top of another

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb