Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 15-11-2002 , 04:43 PM

Disappearing Hair??

Hi everyone. I have a character that is modelled and textured with paint effects hair that initially rendered quite well. Unfortunately, when I animated the character, the hair disappeared--despite still listing in the outliner. Has anyone ever encounter this problem; and, is there a solution? I've resorted to displaying all geometry and have seen to it that the viewports are listing shaded mode with real lighting. Thank you in advance.

# 2 16-11-2002 , 11:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'm not sure... user added image I don't really use Paint Effects that extensively.

# 3 17-11-2002 , 12:51 AM
SM Alumni
How do you mean disappeared? Can't see it in the viewport as the animation plays, nothing in Playblast, doesn't render when you render the frames?

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 4 17-11-2002 , 08:07 PM
Hi Darkon. It is very strange. I have the hair grouped and parented to the head geometry. I can animate the head and the hair moves with the geometry. I can apply blendshapes to the face and the hair is fine. But, when I begin the process of animating the character's legs for a walk sequence, the hair just disappears--both from the viewports and from the render. It's a frustrating mystery.

# 5 18-11-2002 , 12:20 AM
SM Alumni
Try putting the hair in a seperate render layer and see if that helps, you'll have to render two seperate passes but maybe that will clear it up, just have to composite it back when you are done.

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 6 23-11-2002 , 04:01 PM
Hi Darkon. The solution was to delete the original texture reference object and, to check 'ignore all nodes' and proceed to create new hair. Then I recreated the texture reference object and re-enabled all nodes. Thanks for your help!