Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-06-2006 , 09:18 PM

Using Paint to Paint on 2D surface - -

i built a simple polygon surface and would like to paint colors, roads and other things on the 2D surface. Is there a way to use the paint effects to paint in 2D rather than in 3D which uses a curve to draw it. i tried playing around with the settings but nothing worked or it didnt look good at all during a render.

As an example of what i want to do think of painting on a surface to make curvy roads and also patching it up with grass etc etc. is there anyway to accomplish this? thanks!

# 2 29-06-2006 , 12:01 AM
Subscriber
# 3 29-06-2006 , 01:33 PM
why not?? seems to me they would add this feature - - they have everything else..

# 4 30-06-2006 , 07:24 AM
depends on how you want to paint in 2D....
its entirely doable to directly paint a texture straight onto the object in maya, nearly the same as painting an actual physical sculpture. Effectively what you're doing is actually creating the files that is referenced when the object is rendered. This becomes handy to, say, paint something on a curved surfafce to minimize distortion on the 3D object (such as lettering on a sphere - although there are a number of other ways to deal with this as well). You could also use this method to do 'detail' painting on any number of objects, where the posistion of the faces isn't necessarily readily identifiable inside of a texture map, and where continuity is important.
Note that this only deals with elements for a texture file - color, bump and displacement maps, reflectivity, and so on.

If you want 3D elements (such as the various grass elements and whatelse from the various brushes), I think you're still stuck with defining things from along a curve. Although this could be seen as a slight disadvantage, it does have at least 2 merits that immediately come to mind - you can control its posistion and existence along the curve, and the curve should still be editable, allowing for reanimateable posistions.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com