Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 18-11-2006 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
cool thx for fast reply, got to texturing

# 17 26-11-2006 , 10:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you finish your entry, let me know if I don't happen to notice and I'll mark your thread as FINISHED. user added image Hope all who celebrate it had a happy Thanksgiving!

# 18 27-11-2006 , 04:34 AM
argh, just found this thread now, too late!

# 19 27-11-2006 , 05:34 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dbsmith
argh, just found this thread now, too late!

just look out 4 the next :p

# 20 01-12-2006 , 01:11 PM
The Maya Mountain
So, considering that only 3 people finished the challenge, I'm going to have to assume that there aren't many people interested in having challenge competitions here at SM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems silly to offer a prize from my own pocket just to find there's hardly enough people finishing to even give them out.

user added image

Do you guys need another month or something?

# 21 01-12-2006 , 01:45 PM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by mtmckinley
So, considering that only 3 people finished the challenge, I'm going to have to assume that there aren't many people interested in having challenge competitions here at SM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The challenges were one of the main reasons I joined the community (along with the tutes). I love the challenges and its great to see yourself improve and others too. If the challenges stopped the site would end up a help forum and much like DT is. DT is fantastic, but has no real sence of community about it. This site does.

If there is only 3 finishes then we could leave the prizes out and start a new challenge for December. Maybe by then we can get the bimonthly challenges started again, if Dave is back that is.

Mike this has been a great challenge and made me personally walk into an area I didn't feel I would like (Modelling Cars).

Thanks Mike for this great challenge, and to who entered. Finished or not.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 22 01-12-2006 , 02:06 PM
As I stated before, this is my first challenge. I honestly do not care about prizes, though I will have to look into your books now user added image curiousity is a wonderful thing.

In the light of the recent challenge, I joined in just to see what I am capable of in a time frame, see what I could pull off for the challege, and see what kind of C&C was received. Though there was little C&C to my project, I still got the chance to see other ideas and techniques which gave me some great ideas and a few different views on how modeling is done.

Bi-monthly challenges as R@nsid suggested, or maybe a quick banner/message on the front page of the site, would be a fine way to continue this.

As a beginner to Maya (only been at it for about 5 months now) I find that this challenge was a wonderful learning experience, and seeing that stop would almost be a shame.

-Therverian-

The Evolution of Gaming: DNA Studios Online

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I could learn nothing from him" -Galileo-
# 23 01-12-2006 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber

Bi-monthly challenges as R@nsid suggested, or maybe a quick banner/message on the front page of the site, would be a fine way to continue this.

-Therverian- [/B]

i think adveritsment is the biggest problem you have. tell pepole in advance theres a comp coming up, be it a month or 2 weeks just let them know its coming. so many people have said that they found this thread too late to enter. also this is a really time of the year, i know i have been snowed under the last few weeks. send a news letter you have the email address you need them to register.

I also think what happened last time put alot of people. I mean its coming on 2 and half months now and still no word - thats bad man. not even a sorry from the man himself, only you saying sorry for him. but much respect for you telling us what was going on and getting this one going.

as i said before i love challenages - and whats great about this place is the fact its not done by masters of art like over at cgtalk but real uers of maya.

# 24 02-12-2006 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
I whole heartedly agree with Tweety there,

sending out a mail shot to encourage forum users to enter a challenge is a neat idea. No need for a newsletter as such just a bulletin with the rules and a link to the challenge forum, similar to the ones that are sent out advising us of new tutorials or bundle deals.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 25 02-12-2006 , 10:48 AM
The Maya Mountain
Well, I can pick winners from the 3 finished (and thus 1 guy doesn't get anything, which kinda sucks).

Or, I can give this next month to finish.

What do YOU guys want? That's what this is all about.

# 26 02-12-2006 , 11:08 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by mtmckinley
What do YOU guys want? That's what this is all about.

Much Love Baby... :p

I personnaly feel that we should just end it this month and give 1st prize out to the winner.

2nd & 3rd get nothing (this includes me BTW) then advertise/newsleter to let everyone know about a new challenge to start in the New Year, leave the topic until the challenge starts or get a poll running for topics, Organics, Non Organics, Environment, Game, Hyperreal etc...

...And thats my 2 cents...

This is Kent Brockman for Channel 6 News...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 27 02-12-2006 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber
i would have to say the same.

although i would love more time to spend on the textures i planned on reworking this to a high res model b4 going back to textering so for this challenage i feel done with it.

jugde these 4 entrys and tell us the results, give prize to first place. (and maybe a first place logo,icon user added image )

i`m fine with that. - and just a quick well done to the other 3 entries for getting it done, and what the hell happened 2 spacegoats entry - thought it was going 2 be top 3 entry

Last edited by tweetytunes; 02-12-2006 at 01:56 PM.
# 28 02-12-2006 , 02:54 PM
Well, I'm all for it:

Give everyone their place markers and say good job, pat us all on the back, or a swift kick in the....and start thinking on a new challenge.

awaiting my "booby prize" lol

The Evolution of Gaming: DNA Studios Online

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I could learn nothing from him" -Galileo-
# 29 03-12-2006 , 07:45 PM
19 year Veteran

Seems silly to offer a prize from my own pocket just to find there's hardly enough people finishing to even give them out.

I think your wrong about the statement mike. I would have loved to have entered the comp; however, this being the holidays, I'm too busy at work to enter. Thats why I had to bail on the Nov/Dec challenge last year. I do agree with tweetytunes, I think the challenges need more advertisement. I think a nice big attractive banner here on the home page of SM would be a great idea. I think the lack of partcipitation revolves around the time limit given for the challenge, but thats just my opinion on the matter.

# 30 04-12-2006 , 08:30 AM
I would have also loved to have done this challenge, I just found it too late, and Im unsure of whether I wouldve completed by the deadline. Hey is there a mailing list for this kinda thing mike, either from you or from simply maya?

But still keen for the next one. Bring it on...