Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-08-2007 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber

Russian battleship "Poltava"

My original intention here was to add an example of water with a boat on it (ie the "create ocean" feature and the "boat locator" feature in the dynamics module). I was surprised how relatively easy it was to create an ocean, and I suppose I could have made a simple rowboat to float on it, but I tend to bite off more than I can eat at one sitting. Hence this model in progress!

I like WWI era dreadnought type battleships, but was too lazy to dig out my copy of "Jane's Fighting Ships" to scan the plans. I was able to get side and top view plans for this ship (a "pre-dreadnought" battleship). I have since found many others online, but I had already started this one.

This is the "Poltava", an Imperial Russian Battleship of the "Petropavlovsk" class. The ship was built in 1897, captured by the Japanese during the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-5 and became the IJN Tango. Returned to Russia during WWI, the ship was damaged during the Russian Revolution and was scrapped in 1923. The next "Poltava" was a Russian Dreadnought launched in 1909.

Here's the model so far. There are a few small details missing, particularly on the lifeboat davits as well as the anchor, associated chains, and various deck clutter. I may also add extra rigging. I am currently playing with the textures, and my first impression is that a patina of more rust and filth is called for. Any other suggestions are welcome. I left out the screws and rudders, as that part of the ship won't be visible (unless I decide to have it sink by the bows, in which case I will add them).

Here's a picture (sans ocean)! Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 25-08-2007 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber
Here's another shot. I've alredy determined that the red on the ship's launches has to be toned down, but any and all other suggestions are most welcome!

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 3 26-08-2007 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
I spent the afternoon messing around with the texture and (mostly, as this was time-consuming) adding details such as the railings, ropes, anchors, &c. Those nearly impossible to see objects DO make a difference, however, as does the more grungy texture.

To get this "salt/rust patina" effect, I added transparent noise layers over the base color in photoshop. Not the utmost in life-like, but it will work for now (anyone have any ideas, do please let me know!)

Here's a picture of the latest edition. Hope you like it!

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 4 26-08-2007 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
And here's a stern view. When I've created the ocean and floated this boat, I will put a link to the finished animation in the "Finished Work" section. Thanks for your indulgence! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 26-08-2007 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey Jim,

Nice to see someone modeling a boat as it is rarely done, from my point of view anyway ...

Only suggestions are to, texture them thingson deck/board to give it that feel if you catch my drift. Also to put this in the water and see how it looks as youved mentioned already i think ...

Cheers,

Marlon

# 6 26-08-2007 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, Marlon! I'm not quite sure what it is you suggest I texture, but I do have to give the lifeboats and pretty much everything else a second going-over! Part of the problem with texturing is that you're never really finished!

One problem I anticipate when I "float" it is getting all the parameters right. I did an experiment, and yes, the boat locator feature works as advertised. However, my ship bobbed up and down on the "waves" (relatively calm seas, unless I got my scaling wrong) like a cork and not like a 12,000 ton ship! I'm going to have to figure out all of that!

:-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 7 26-08-2007 , 09:32 AM
Hey Jim

This looks really good, be good to see the animation, any chance of a wireframe?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 26-08-2007 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
Here are a couple of rather crummy wireframes. I will provide more detailed ones when the Mrs. and I return from church! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 9 26-08-2007 , 10:40 AM
Subscriber
Here's another:

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 10 26-08-2007 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
And one more just for the helluvit! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 11 26-08-2007 , 11:06 AM
Cheers Jim

Looks nice and clean.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 26-08-2007 , 12:35 PM
Subscriber
Jim,

your work has really a nice feel to it.

I know what you mean about getting carried away and making what could be a simple scene into a major project but why not push yourself, it's a sure fire way of improving your skills.

Looking forward to seeing the animation/simulation.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 13 26-08-2007 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
Hi Jim! Very nice model! I love seeing boats in model format. I have always wanted to make a model from the movie the perfect storm.

Nice job!

Sean

myspace - www.myspace.com/seansilasexperimental
# 14 26-08-2007 , 10:16 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, all!

Shredder,

Making a model should be relatively easy (I think the boat in "Perfect Storm" was a trawler of sorts). Here's all I used:

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 15 26-08-2007 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
...and I found this online. I think the trawler in "Perfect Storm" was larger, but it's a good start!! :-)

Attached Images

"Ad astra per aspera..."