Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-10-2007 , 01:17 PM

Franky tutorial in Maya 8.5

During the tutorial, Kurt uses insert + hold X before duplicating an object in order to copy it to the same location to the other side of the X axis (around -1:20 in the first file and in many occasions afterwards).

I didn't manage to do that (insert does nothing and so does X).

Can someone please tell me how to use that in Maya 8.5?

# 2 10-10-2007 , 01:45 PM
Lifetime Member
Insert allows you to move the pivot point of an object so what Kurt is most likely doing is making sure his pivot point is on the center axis.This is done by first selecting the move tool then hiting insert (you will see the center of the tool change to a little circle) then you middle mouse drag over the center of the grid while holding down X ( MMB + X lets you snap to grid), once the pivot point is where you need it you hit insert again to complete the move.You can now do your mirror action across the X axis knowing the pivot is in the center.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 10-10-2007 , 03:58 PM

Thanks

I tried it and it worked, except MMB + X, but I just used the snap to grid button...
Thanks again,
Benny

# 4 12-10-2007 , 07:30 AM

BTW

There's also a part in which he grabs some vertices and moves them all to the y axis.
When I try to do it(with more then one vertex) it doesn't workuser added image.
Any ideas?
Benny