Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-11-2007 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber

Worth an Upgrade to 64bit System?

Hey guys, ive been thinking of upgrading my OS to Vista 64 and Maya 64...

I've heard a few people have some trouble which generally seems to be hardware related.

What are your thoughts? Is there a distinct performance increase in this upgrade that will warrant it?

I am currently running Maya 8 on XP (32 bit)... and I've been having some memory problems although i have 4gb of RAM but 32bit XP doesn't support more than 3 or somthing :headbang:

By the way I have a new computer quadcore and 8800 gts video card so i should be ok hardware wise

# 2 07-11-2007 , 12:04 AM
I dunno to be honest, i'm on 32 bit and will probably stay till I need to get a new PC. I can see the advantage of 64 bit but I dont think that I would really use it to its full potential.

I think if you have 4 gig it does see it all, it just keeps a portion to run windows on and diaplays whats available for programms to use, so that would be an advantage but I've only ever had a problem with memeory when I was being stupid like trying to render a head of hair/model with SSS, FG HDR etc etc all in one shot, once I borke it into layers there wasnt a problem.

If youve got the hardware and you dont mind shelling out the cash for the OS and the software, then why not go for it!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 07-11-2007 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
Hi,

I've recently upgraded to Vista 64, no hardware bother at all. The only thing that has sucked is that some of my older software doesn't work properly as it relies on dotnet framework 1 which Vista doesn't really like.

Regardless of any bad press that Vista's had, I've had no problems getting hardware drivers and have had no bother with security.

I have to say that I'd still be using 32bit XP Pro if my new main board was happy running 4Gig on a 32 bit system but it's not so I had to upgrade.

I guess that I'm making the most of my system now, incidently....is there any point in having a 64 bit processor if you're running a 32Bit O/S?

Mat.

# 4 07-11-2007 , 02:29 AM
Senior Software Developer
Do not switch your OS unless you intend to run everything as 64bit.

I am not totaly sold on the idea of going to 64 and would stick it out to the end tbh. I agree with Matt aswell, i have used Vista in the past and will not change anything over until Vista SP1 is released (as all the major bugs will have been dealt with - yes SP1 will bring it own, but hey the joys of an MS OS).

If you really feel the need to go 64 and up to Vista x64 then do it, but be aware of any additional cost you may end up with.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 07-11-2007 , 04:35 AM
Psst... 64bit linux is free user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 07-11-2007 , 07:08 AM
Subscriber
I am using the USB hardware lock for Maya and there is currently "no solution" that will allow me to run the 64-bit version, according to tech support.

So, 64-bit OS...32-bit Maya. Just because I chose the "wrong" licensing format.

:headbang:

# 7 07-11-2007 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the response guys :attn:

Do not switch your OS unless you intend to run everything as 64bit.

why not? i intent to dual boot... vista 64 is where i will do my work and xp 32 everything else user added image

Thanks again guys, I am almost convinced to go through with it , but will prob sit on it for another week or so!

# 8 07-11-2007 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
I thought about Dual Booting but because I'm constantly switching between apps I decided against it. As it happens pretty much all of my x86 software works fine, with the exception of Vegas 6 and Home Studio 2004, which isn't the end of the world.

Unless you're running software with hardware locks you should be fine.

# 9 07-11-2007 , 05:31 PM
Dual booting, to me anyway, seems an irritation more than a practical solution to a problem, be something like ohh ill UV this, save the images, reboot to open whatever you need create the texture, reboot, check it out, reboot, edit, reeboot etc etc, but if thats what your prepared to do then go for it!

I'd rarther wait till the technology matures a bit, but as Mat said hes had no probs so it would probably be ok.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle