Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-11-2007 , 11:00 PM

How should I do this?

I'm attempting to model a Desert Eagle, but I have no clue how to model this part. user added image

Here is a pic of what I'm trying to do:
user added image
The problem is the sort of 'indent' on the 'cocking back' part.

It's square at the front, than cylindrical at the back..

I'd prefer to stay away from booleans.

Last edited by GhosTz; 26-11-2007 at 11:10 PM.
# 2 26-11-2007 , 11:07 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Your image links are duff!!! :headbang:

You should Host your images on a site such as, PhotoBucket.com, or imageshack.com. Their both free, and once you upload the images all you have to do is copy the [img] code and paste it in a post.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 26-11-2007 , 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Mayaniac
Your image links are duff!!! :headbang:

You should Host your images on a site such as, PhotoBucket.com, or imageshack.com. Their both free, and once you upload the images all you have to do is copy the [img] code and paste it in a post.

Fixed. user added image

# 4 26-11-2007 , 11:40 PM
Well theres several way you could go about modeling this gun. The Main thing we need to know is weather your modeling this in Hi or Low-Res.

If your going to model this for a Game then you would be better off modeling it as a whole. I would start with a cylinder (with about 8 segments along the Axis) You could then simple bring in the edges toward the front of the barrel until they're flat. This would give it the Blocky front with the rounded rear.
Then it would be simple extrusion and tweaking to get it looking spot on.

On the other hand, if you were going to model this gun in hi-res then i would suggest modeling all of the main areas separately. This would give far more overall detail control.

If you were going to do it this way, you could create a Cylinder to take the shape of the rear end of the Barrel, and then simply extrude and bring in the edges along the barrel , all the way to the front. By doing the you would have excellent control over the shape of the barrel.

So, give it a try and post back if you can't get it, or if you get stuck at certain point. Post an image of what you have, and I'm sure everyone one here will contribute their thoughts and suggestion.

Good luck, and happy modeling. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 27-11-2007 at 12:18 AM.
# 5 27-11-2007 , 12:08 AM
It'll be high-res.

Do you mean extrude the vertical edge along the sphere?
user added image

# 6 27-11-2007 , 12:32 AM
Sorry, i meant cylinder. :headbang:

Just create a cylinder with about 8 segments running around the axis. Position this at the rear end of the barrel. This will give it the cylindrical shape you want. The extrude the cylinder forward toward the front of the barrel.
Now bring in the 2 side edges of the section you just extruded, so that they're flat. This will create the boxed section at the front of the barrel.

So now you should have a flat side that leads of to a rounded side.

Then it would simply a case of adding edges and tweaking them into the right shape.

That image you posted of the Gun is a good side view, you should load it as an image plane.

If this doesn't make any sense, I'm sure someone else will be able to suggest a better approach.

The best thing to do is load up the your image plane(s) and wing it! Just start experimenting with different ways of accomplishing the shapes your after.

Odds are something will come to you, and you won't have only modeled your gun, but you also learned allot more along the way by going at it yourself, than following a step by step procedure.

Well thats about all I've got at the Mo.

Tomorrow I'll be able to get on my computer, and maybe I'll give the gun a go!

Good luck! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 7 30-11-2007 , 11:04 AM
M'kay I'll try that out.

Thanks. user added image