Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-08-2008 , 03:27 AM
The Nurb Herd

Pug - dog

Hi all,

I'm working on a pug and was hoping some more experienced modelers might be able to give me some pointers. I'm pretty new to maya and this is my first go at organic modeling stuff.

user added image

user added image

# 2 18-08-2008 , 04:04 AM
Subscriber
Looks pretty good, i thought i might have seen a couple triangles in the mesh, you really want to try and keep all poly's 4 sided in the mesh, it will deform and smooth much better.
Cooluser added image

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP
# 3 18-08-2008 , 04:35 AM
The Nurb Herd
yeah, i see what you mean from looking at the pic, but i did a cleanup and there are no triangles or 5-sided polys user added image

# 4 18-08-2008 , 05:18 AM
Subscriber
right on...looking good dude

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP
# 5 15-10-2008 , 01:58 PM
The Nurb Herd
did some more work on this, i am going to work on the texture around the eyes a bit more.

What else do people think i should work on? this is my first go at this. any help appreciated user added image

user added image

user added image

(clickable)

# 6 15-10-2008 , 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
I'm liking this. Only crit I really have is his silhouette, it doesn't look like he actually has fur, you know.

- Genny
# 7 15-10-2008 , 07:27 PM
The Nurb Herd
thanks, i agree about hte fur. user added image

the shader has a facing ratio, sampler info on the incandesence but i'm not sure what else to do... any suggestions? user added image

I can try to add fur, but i'm not very good at using fur yet.

# 8 16-10-2008 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
oh man.... that is creepy! user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 16-10-2008 , 10:49 AM
Looks good!

Could you post a pic without the texture, just the bunp that your using as I think the texture may be masking bits of the modeling that might be best off being modeled in there, such as the creases on the head.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 16-10-2008 , 11:37 AM
The Nurb Herd
i tried some fur stuff last night, here are the results:

user added image

@gster - I haven't got the internet at home right now but i'll post the bump later today...

What would the benefit of modeling the crease be? i dont have zbrush unfortunately, as i thought i could do it in that. I do have modo but my computer slows right down when i try to sculpt... i could add a displacement map to the shader?

Last edited by honestdom; 16-10-2008 at 11:40 AM.
# 11 16-10-2008 , 11:55 AM
Parts look sort of flat at the moment, with the texture giving the main look of creases, if there big creases that need the extra lift then just model them in maya.

Have you got a side view also, justthat by the looks of it the textures strech a bit form the front projection.

# 12 16-10-2008 , 05:04 PM
The Nurb Herd
you are right about the bump, it does seem alot flatter than i had thought.

user added image

I think i will maybe try modelling the crease as a seperate piece of geometry and bake it as a texture to use as a displacement map... what do you think?

About the stretch texture thing - i think it was just the lack of resources i had for pug fur. Do you mean the part at the top of the head?

umm best side shot i have without going home and rendering one. (back at the internet cafe.) You can see the flatness in this tho

user added image

Thanks for your help so far gster

# 13 17-10-2008 , 12:15 PM
Yeah the textures a bit stretched, I would model the creases in there as form the side view its very flat in places with the colour giving the colour of the bump

# 14 17-10-2008 , 08:22 PM
The Nurb Herd
i made some changes today, but it looks like its bulging at the sides a bit. might be something to do with the hangover i had this morning user added image

user added image
user added image

# 15 17-10-2008 , 08:51 PM
nice job so far very clean geo.. keep it up

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb