Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-10-2006 , 07:40 AM
Subscriber

skin weights problem

hi,

I've got a rigged character, now there is on vertice where it is impossible to set the smooth skin values to 0. Neither with the paint weights tool nor in the component editor. Whatever I do in the component editor, the total value spread around the joints is always one. Now if I zero one joint out the weight wanders to another and so forth until I end up having a value of 1 on one joint. If I zero that one out the values spread around my joints again and the whole thing starts from the beginning.

any ideas?

# 2 27-10-2006 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber
in your component editor, try turing off 'hold' in the smooth section for the attributes you dont wish to be painted.

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 27-10-2006 , 01:22 PM
Subscriber
hmmm hold is off on all of them. I tried turning hold on on all but the one I wanted to zero out. After I did that I had a value of 0.03 on all my joints even though I have the max influence on 4 -pretty wired

# 4 19-12-2006 , 04:46 PM

why?

i understand what you are trying to do but why would you want something with a 0 value? that means it will not follow the rig when you start animating it. it will just float in space as the rig moves off. if you are trying to avoid deformtion in that peice just put is to a full 1 on all pts to a static joint, like the pelvis if your model is a biped.