Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-10-2007 , 01:07 PM

Switching between driven-key and normal keyframing

How do I animate a node using a driven key for part of the animation, but then switch to 'normal' keyframing at a certain time position ?

For example, if I animate a bouncing ball, I might want to drive a squash value using the ball's translateY attribute. If the ball comes to rest after a few bounces, though, I then want to animate its squash value using normal time-based keyframing from that point onwards. Later on in the animation, I may then want to switch back to using a driven key.

Is there a way to do this ?

Many thanks

Steve

Last edited by wslogue; 07-10-2007 at 02:11 PM.
# 2 18-10-2007 , 10:21 AM
A good way to do something like this would be to group the driven object then move the group pivot point so it is the same as the objects pivot point.

Then instead of setting up the SDK on your geometry or main controller, set up the SDK on the parent above. That way you can have two sets of animation going on at the same time, the SDK on your parent and then once your finished with the SDK you can just go ahead and key your actual object. Leaving the parent static.

If this is not an option for some reason. Lets say the driver is somthing that is allways moving and therefore if it is animated on the parent of your object it will screw it up:

You can always use constraints to get the same effect. Again make a locater or empty transform node which will be your driven object and position it where you need it. then make another controller which you will use to animate your object when its not being driven.

Then parent constrain your object to both of these controllers. You now have the option if you look in the channel box for your object to switch the weight of influence the controllers have over your object. So its simply a case of when you want to stop the driven animation to switch off all the weight from your driven controller and give it all to the animation controller.

user added image