Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 20-03-2010 , 12:24 AM
19 year Veteran
Jay, have you decided on what the next challenge will be?

Hope you will still consider the stereo 3D idea I pitched.

# 47 28-03-2010 , 07:12 PM
19 year Veteran
Guess there is not much interest here for the next challenge. Hope one happens in the near future.

# 48 28-03-2010 , 07:24 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well to be honest mate I havent even considered it. In fact i was a little disappointed at this turn out. I understand people have lives and need to get on with it, but after the superhype everyone gave avatar, I kind of figured this one to be a good idea. Anyway the win was well deserved by Dave rave, a true gladiator in the Arena.

I also wonder how many people just took the free mesh that was supplied for the comp and didnt enter...?? You know the sort that freeload and claim it all for themselves.

I'll do a thread where people can post up ideas and we'll see what happens eh

Jay

# 49 28-03-2010 , 07:39 PM
19 year Veteran
I think the avatar concept was fantastic as well Jay. I think problem might have been the skill level required for this comp. And just like you said, there were probably alot of people who took your base mesh and didn't enter the challenge and said that they did it.

Anyway, I see alot more participation with easier comps, where you have to start from scratch.

# 50 28-03-2010 , 09:06 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by THX1138
I think the avatar concept was fantastic as well Jay. I think problem might have been the skill level required for this comp. .

This.
And the fact that I didn't like the idea of starting off with someone else's work, if I spend hours on something, I want to be able to say its mine. I would also never want to model myself....

# 51 28-03-2010 , 09:06 PM
The thin red line
Hi Jay, THX1138
Jay I was going to use your mesh again for some thing Im doing now but ended up a day later (I am slow) making my own, I think it some thing to do with pride in what you do or in my case stupidity................dave

# 52 31-03-2010 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
It was a good idea for a challenge and i wish i got it finished.

Something Ive been wanting to do is a lighting and rendering challenge. Something less realistic and more surreal.

Why not model a crystal shape or some abstract form and set the challenge of texturing, shading, lighting and rendering it in the most interesting way? That way people can go as far or as little as they want with it.

This could also be combined with THX's idea of stereo rendering (although this might bring it into the 'too hard and complex' realm)

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge