Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 61 07-11-2004 , 04:35 AM
I think the problem is that her eyes, nose, and lips are all out of proportion from one another, particularly with the eyes and nose. The eyes seem too small, and the nose seems a little too elongated. The ears seem a little small and the upper part of the ears seem too close to the head. Keep on working on it...you will get the perfect feminine look eventually! user added image

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 07-11-2004 at 04:38 AM.
# 62 07-11-2004 , 06:34 AM
I would redo the head, look at thehobbitguy.com for a great tutotial on approaching a head and build it with polys. Polys are what you see is what you get for the most part, let me know how it helps.

# 63 07-11-2004 , 11:50 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Contrast

Long time no hear dude. Yeah I think you really need to look at the head again. I know exactly what you are going for as I have seen the reference of the girl you are using. I have attached one thats pretty good for reference so maybe you can use this.

Dont forget to look at distances between the eyes, as the head is 5 eyes across, the ears start at the top of the brow ridge and end at the lower nose area. The eyes are also palce in the centre between the top of the head and the chin. Hope this helps. If you wanna see some great faces to see how its done , go to www.stevengiesler.com, this guy worked on Final Fantasy and the Matrix. There should be a link on there for a guy called Francisco Cortina who built the models too.

Overall you just need to get some great reference for the face and take your time, as it will get very frustrating. The problem with building realistic people is that we recognise what looks right in order for it to become human. Best of luck
_J

Attached Images
# 64 07-11-2004 , 12:36 PM
Thanks for the constructive critisim CGPMaya84, matthew_maners, and Jango. I've been pretty busy with other projects so I've just tried to finally finish this head, but I will now go back and rework it, focusing on the proportions. Thanks for the reference images Jango.

# 65 07-11-2004 , 08:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Contrast
No worries dude, anytime.
_J

# 66 11-11-2004 , 10:43 PM
I've reworked the head using Jango's references. They helped a good deal. Any suggestions? I'm a little stumped on what to change.

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 11-11-2004 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
cheekbones look a little low, and the eyes still look a little small. but i think a lot of the eye proportions mite be fixed by raising those cheekbones a little.

Good stuff, its almost there user added image

# 68 12-11-2004 , 11:50 PM
Thanks for the tips Kerosene. Here she is now. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
# 69 12-11-2004 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
looking good very quickly, shes even got a bit of a mona lisa smile user added image

# 70 12-11-2004 , 11:58 PM
Subscriber
I think its pretty much it. If u post a front and side view its easier to see the proportions...

# 71 13-11-2004 , 12:24 AM

tutorials used?

hey, I like the fact that you're posting the whole process here... it would make for a good tutorial if you had just told us how you were modelling. What is your process? Do you work totally in polys or nurbs or sub-d or what? I really liked the fact that you posted some of the tutorials you were getting stuff from. Will you post more? I like the way your mesh is really smooth and you're able to work on separate body parts etc. and splice them all together. it's coming along nicely!

# 72 13-11-2004 , 12:28 AM

images

I'd also like to know if someone out there has really nice images of female heads and such like the links that were posted earlier... if anyone runs across this thread and would like to lend a hand please do! I think this girl needs help with her face, it isn't your fault you had to start with such a rough image contrast! Also, i'd like to note... I'm gonna be starting my own model and i'd also like to post my results here! So keep an eye out... it's my first time on SimplyMaya AND with doing a high poly figure! woohoo!

# 73 13-11-2004 , 03:44 AM
Thanks for the comments and encouragement Kerosene and jellyrollikeskulpcha. Here are the front and side shots of her head, why is it that the side always looks better to me than the front views?

In terms of my method, I have tried to document it as best I could. I started in NURBS then converted to polys. Looking back I could of started in Polys and saved myself some time since I had to do a lot of tweaking to them after having converted from the NURBS, but that is just me. I haven't used Sub-d but I would eventually like to learn, it seems like the wave of the future (and present for that matter). But before that I would like to texture my female model and learn the details of that whole process.

I'll be looking for your thread jellyrollikeskulpcha to check on your model. Good luck with it, I'm sure you will do well since there are so many people here willing to contribute suggestions and comments.

Attached Thumbnails
# 74 13-11-2004 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
Nice improvment on the head, gr8 job.
I myself just had my first ever go at texturing and to be honest it's a real pain!

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 75 14-11-2004 , 12:41 AM
Subscriber
Like u said it looks better from the side. And i think its cuz the proportions are much better vertically than they are horizontally. Now I can't see the rest of the body for a scale comparison but there two ways to go about this.

One is to scale the face in X and Y and scale the back part of the head in Y. Basically keeping the ratio of head to face Y proportion the same, whilst stretching it across the head.
The second way would be too scale down the back part of the head. Tuck in those wide parts a bit, like where the ears are, the outside slope of the top of the head, jawline and neck.

I prefer doing it the second way and if it leaves the ehad out of proportion with the body then scale the whole head up a notch.

Its all about minor mods here and there now and remember that as much as we wud all love to model to perfect life scale, sometimes u need to subtly exaggerate proportion and features to help capture the image.

Good stuff, Contrast. Really enjoying watching u go on this thread. :tup: